Author Topic: Beans, How much torcher can they take?  (Read 890 times)

tuinman

• Half Acre
Beans, How much torcher can they take?
« on: July 11, 2007, 12:57:08 »
My poor bean plants have had a rough time of it, something is destroying them. For the last two months I've been fighting an invisible enemy, every time i look at them there are stems cut right through at ground level or just above or the tips are gone so that growth is really stunted. All my neighbours beans are fine and at the top of the canes.

here is my poor beans,

I'm thinking it could be either birds or a soil living beastie such as a leatherback

Any ideas?

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
Re: Beans, How much torcher can they take?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 14:14:06 »
No idea really - could it be mice, birds or slugs?

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 14:32:43 »
...slugs have have the majority of mine.

I moved something on my plot and found 50-60 slugs underneath, i gave them a shake of slug killer and covered them up to die in peace!

I hate slugs

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 20:11:36 »
I have an unseen enemy chewing my peas >:(

While weeding the row, I found a pile of pea stalks neatly trimmed and arranged in a nest.  Not inhabited and now in the compost bin.

I think that was Mrs Mouse and now that I have removed the undergrowth, hoping she won't come back.

But Tuinman, looking at your pic it is an exposed site, so I'm not sure your's is the same problem - does the site have mice??  Perhaps you could try netting them or more wrapping the net around the outer canes?

If you use them, sprinkle the pellets - I have found the white Growing Success pellets to be effective.

Good luck

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 22:34:48 »
Mice and voles cut all of mine off one year.  Drove me to distraction so I planted some new plants and put a trap, just to see.  Yup, a vole.  Then I saw the buggers doing it!  Glad to say the overgrown plot has now been worked so they don't seem to be such a problem.

tuinman

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 10:03:36 »
yes it could maybe be rodents as we have a canal at the front but I never catch them at it :(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal