Author Topic: Checking gif  (Read 4943 times)

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Checking gif
« on: June 12, 2004, 20:12:15 »
don't know why it's not working?

Eleen

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re:Checking gif
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 20:26:22 »
Eileen, don't know if this is helpful but if I type in the URL for your animated gif i.e. http://www2.animatedgif.net/animals/bugs/flya2_e0.gif I get a message saying that I don't have permission to view the file.  Looks like your image is possibly not displaying here because of an access permission to your web hosting address.  ???
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 20:34:20 »
Thanks Jess but I typed it in wrong and kept making the same stupid mistake!!! Got it now - you like?? I think it's pretty  8)

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 20:39:45 »
Very pretty, I like butterflies, reminds me of being a child catching them with a net and then the best part letting them go and watching them fly away again.

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 20:43:29 »
You did that too  Jess - SNAP - I never hurt them but they were just sooooo lovely to look at in detail that I couldn't resist catching them.

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 20:58:08 »
I remember one year the farm next to where we lived had acres and acres of some sort of flowering crop (can't remember what it was, I was a child so didn't really take an interest) but the butterflies obviously liked the flowers and there were just thousands upon thousands of them, yellow and white ones, not particularly beautiful on their own but the amount of butterflies was simply amazing. I remember that my Mum even let me bunk off school the one day so I could spend the day butterfly catching, great Mum hey! More likely the truth is Mum probably wanted to spend the day gardening (my Mum is a great gardener) and didn't want to make the twice a day 30 mile round trip taking me to and fetching me from school that day! Lovely to remember that, I had nearly forgotten about it.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2004, 21:05:47 »
Strange Eileen in fact odd.I changed mine tonight and that was one of the ones i nearly chose.You will perhaps find it easier to right click and copy on the url: then paste it into your profile.Sounds as though i know what i'm talking about but dont be fooled.Just that it saves making typing errors.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 21:19:48 »
I love butterflies so much that I have even opened up a picture folder on my computer with photos of all different types of butterfly.  Only got three photos in it at the moment, but hoping for many more.  Trouble is, the lovely creatures seem to be in decline so don't very often get the chance to snap one.  

How is the butterfly population in everyone elses part of the country?
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2004, 21:24:32 »
Gardengirl, I don't see many butterflies, occasionally a white one in the garden but nothing to get terribly excited about. I really should plant some flowers that attract them, any suggestions?

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2004, 21:33:10 »
Like the new avatar Eileen (Unbirthday girl that you are!!).
I have a buddliah in the loottie which has grown to the size od a small tree (about 7 ft high) and it's amazing the number and varieties of butterflies it attracts when in bloom, guess that's why it's called butterfly bush.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2004, 21:41:15 »
I thought of growing a buddliah, but don't they grow rather large?  Would I be able to grow one in a container perhaps to keep the size down.  I'm not sure of what other plants attract the butterflies, any suggestions anyone??

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2004, 21:43:33 »
Mmmmm, sounds like that's what I need (Buddliah) but where can I squeeze it in. Do they mind partial shade? don't imagine they do like it.

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2004, 22:58:15 »
I had a butterfly bush for years and found that if I cut it back severely in the autumn it never grew too big. Just a pity I had to move house and leave it behind.  :'( :'(
Now I find that lilacs are just as good for attracting butterflies and come in dwarf forms as well as the standard sized tree ones.
I also plant out loads of wild flower seeds each year which the bees as well as the butterflies seems to enjoy. Lavendar is also great for attracting them as are my scented roses and brooms. My cottoneaster also attracts lots of bees too when in flower.
There's bound to be far more plants than I've mentioned but these are just a few of the ones I have that I know for sure attract the insects I want.

I must admit to not having nearly as many butterflies as I've had in past years. So far only, Torties, cabbage whites, orange tips, peacocks and red admirals. I seem to get more varieties round about the end of July/beginning of August than at any other time of year but don't know why.

Thanks for the advice BB - I'll use it the next time I feel like at change.  :D

Jess my BB didn't seem to mind partial shade at all just as long as it had enough light to encourage it to flower.

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2004, 09:45:09 »
I have most of the plants you mention in my garden Eileen, but still not a great many butterflies :(  Maybe as you say, as the summer goes on the numbers may increase with a bit of luck, but I think sadly they are certainly in decline  :(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal