Author Topic: Elderflower "champagne"  (Read 2034 times)

Rohaise

Elderflower "champagne"
« on: May 27, 2007, 20:06:14 »
     4 LG heads elderflowers ( just out is best )
     1and a half lb sugar  500g
   2 tbls white distilled vinegar 2x15ml spoons
    8pints water     4.5 litres
 2 lemons

1) Put flowers, sugar,vinegar,and water into a large jar or bowl. Halve the lemons,squeeze the juice and cut up the peel. Add the lemon juice and peel to your bowl.
    2) Stir well to dissolve the sugar .Cover and leave for 24 hours, give it a stir every now and then .
    3) Stain into bottles (I use plastic milk bottles )  it,s ready now....just keep in the fridge to chill .

This is nice as it is I think,I dont drink ,but I suppose you could add your favourite tipple to it !         Rohaise       :)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Elderflower "champagne"
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 14:46:27 »
I have a similar recipe I think from EJ?? but you leave it in the bottle for 2-3 weeks and it goes fizzy and is alcoholic!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 15:29:18 »
I remember my dad making (alcoholic) elderflower champagne when I was about 10.

When it was nearly ready to be consumed, he decided to add more sugar to it to make it even more alcoholic.

The whole lot exploded in the airing cupboard.

My mother was not amused  ::)

I was though  ;D

He was a teacher. One day he came home with lots of mysterious-looking equipment he'd 'borrowed' from the chemistry labs @ the school and proceeded to make some sort of cherry brandy concoction that was about 100% proof.

He swore me to secrecy, 'don't tell any of your school friends' etc. As if!

'Hey girls! My dad's making moonshine in the garage!'

Mother wasn't amused about that incident either  ::)

« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 15:30:51 by Trixiebelle »
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

uptheowls

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 09:46:50 »
Hi guys
This might sound daft but is this a recipe for elderberry flowers, as the recipes I have seen pictures of looks as though the flowers are pink/red.
Yes I'm stupid for asking

Chris

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 15:25:19 »
Hi - elderflowers are white sprays - I dont know if what you've seen in the books are elderberries (my knowledge only goes so far as the flowers but I am hoping to do elderberry wine later in the year - will have to wait and see what the tree produces!).
Where I live, the elderflowers have long gone - but my elderflower champagne remains - its been a great success.
Gwynleg

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 15:29:27 »
Lovely, I haven't heard of someone making elderflower shampoo in yonks!  Most of the bushes are too close to the roads for many people to bother anymore.

Jack

PS Send 6 cases to my allotment!
Jack's in the Green.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal