Author Topic: Rusty Walking Onion  (Read 2640 times)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Rusty Walking Onion
« on: July 31, 2007, 18:13:20 »
My Tree/Egyptian/Walking Onion has got rust quite badly as have our onions (photos below).

Should I harvest them both before planting out any  leeks or winter onions?

I'm guessing that if I leave them then it will spread to the new crops.

Also, if I replant one of the bulbils from the tree onion will the new plant automatically develop rust?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Rusty Walking Onion
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 09:32:16 »
I've had rust all over my garlic, to the point where it was killing the leaves. The walking onions have been OK, but I wouldn't worry too much. It doesn't normally do any harm, but it's been going mad because of the weather, which has been ideal for fungi. let's just hope it doesn't happen again next year, and the problems with rust won't recur either.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 11:04:43 »
Thanks Robert.

Sorry forgot to attach photos...

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 00:29:18 »
ABBA had the Dancing Queen......me, I know my limitations ::), and I've bin walkin for a few years now ;D

Don't worry about the rust.....cut the stems back to the onions, save the bulbils, whatever, and you can plant them. Won't affect either the onions or their offspring.

The onions in the ground you can either harvest OR leave in situ to produce new stems/bulbils.....won't affect next year's crop......only the weather seems to affect rust developing or not.

I've a permanent Walking Onion bed.......from my memory of the jiffy bag I posted to Robert last year, think he well may have my offspring? ::)  And so have quite a few other members here..... :D

So there you are, folks! It's all MY fault if/when things go wrong ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 10:29:33 »
I do have your offspring. Thanks again. that bit of rust is nothing to worry about at all. The only time you have to be concerned is when the whole plant turns bright orange. Even then you don't have to worry too much as long as you're not rating the leaves. My Solent Wight had the leaves killed by it; the bulbs are small compared to those from my other garlic varieties (they were last year as well), but OK.

While we're on the subject of walking onions, is it better to plant the bulbils, or some of the bulbs?

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 17:00:54 »
I always plant the biggest of the bulbils Robert - I keep the onions either to grow on another year - or eat them!

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 17:51:36 »
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably start a couple of new ones and eat the rest!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 19:28:43 »
I'll do what i did with the elephants last year then, eat a few and plant most of them.

kangqiujie

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 10:19:41 »
Hi, I'm new here - hello!
May I ask where you got your walking onions from?
I started growing some veg in the garden this year, and I would like to grow some walking onions next year, but I can't find anywhere that sells them.
Also, any tips on growing them would be greatly appreciated!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 08:37:05 »
Kang...my stock's depleted cos I sent off loads to peeps last year, but I can spare some bulbils for you if you don't get a better offer ::) so if no-one else has got any spare, PM me your address & I'll get some in the post to you during the week. Planting/growing them's dead easy...plant the bulbils pointy end up about 2" or so down in your bed, bout 6" apart, say? And that's it!

kangqiujie

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 16:24:18 »
That would be fantastic Alishka, thanks! All I have to do now is work out how to PM... ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 17:56:13 »
You're learning!  8) 8) 8)

To anyone else.......last year I sent off lots of bulbils to peeps......walking onions are great to grow and fun things too 8)

Therefore, although I have kang's address......before I send, I'd really like to hear that others who have benefitted from my' largesse'  ??? last year, to spread it around a bit - spreading not only the ethos of Lotties4all about but also to Get Those Walking Onions On the Move........ ;) ;D

always excepting Mikey........poor lad, he received about 2 of my Walking Onions 'in the green'........+ many many more leeklets ::).....oh! and some high-protein  hyperactive slugs anorl  ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal