Author Topic: removing potato haulms  (Read 984 times)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
removing potato haulms
« on: July 08, 2007, 17:38:25 »
 Hi all,  :D
                What are your thoughts on removing the haulms of my maincrop picasso spuds? I dug one plant up yesterday & they are looking really ok ;D They are a good size & the yield seems fine. I am concerned,  (along with many of you) of the risk of the dreaded blight, so I am thinking rather than risk it,  to take off the tops now , then lift them in a couple of weeks. Last year they stayed in the ground until mid September. Any thoughts on this? do you think it will affect their storage ability? Normally they store right through the winter.

Thanks
                                                        Adrian.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
Re: removing potato haulms
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 17:49:55 »
well i always do this when they start to die back had some spuds with blight once oooo once was enough
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 17:52:06 »
If you are happy with the size of your potatoes then by all means remove the haulms.

I would earth them up a bit more then if you are able.

Their storage will only be affected if they have the blight.

My only concern in leaving my potatoes in the ground is that there is more chance of slug damage the longer they stay in.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 00:29:23 »
I don't know what to think. I went away three weeks ago after admiring lovely tall haulms bursting with life and colour, and came back to find them vanished completely except for a few withered stalks in the desert. Dug up a row, and the potatoes were the best ever. Maybe as I dig further I will find them stunted and blemished....

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 06:36:57 »
I would let them be & only cut them if you suspect blight. You can then wait before lifting. Picasso are such a worthwhile crop.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal