Author Topic: Crinodendron hookerianum  (Read 4480 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Crinodendron hookerianum
« on: June 09, 2007, 22:08:15 »
I saw this shrub in Skye and wondered if anyone has grown it and if it will survive a particularly windy garden.

Wind.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Crinodendron hookerianum
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 22:28:51 »
I haven't grown it Carol, but it looks pretty.  They are half-hardy, so suitable for mild areas, otherwise should be grown in greenhouses.  Plant in acid, moist, free-draining soil in a sheltered position.  They wouldn't like a windy position I'm afraid. 

G x
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 22:36:26 by Georgie »
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 22:46:17 »
Thanks G. I read that as well, jsut wondered if any A4Aer was lucky enough to have it in their garden.  I think I could find a place for it away from the pesky wind.  Thanks for answering.

;) ;)

Rohaise

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 23:21:03 »
It grows easily in Cornwall...and the flowers are exotic..but..the rest of the year it makes such a dark dense shrub . Depends where you want it  and what you put it with ,we get some mighty gales here ,so I think it is a toughy . Rohaise

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 09:23:16 »
Carol I have one!!
And in flower now, looking lovely, everyone comments on it!

Moved it from the old house, so it lived in a bucket for a year, put into the new garden earlier in the year and has done fine, as Rohaise says, think it is a toughy!
One of my clients has one, and it is a huge shrub now, she hacks it about and it never seems to mind, flowers its socks off every year.

Not sure about the wind issue, (If you know what I mean!! :-[ :-[ :-X ;D ;)) Her garden is very sheltered, and mine hasn't really been in this garden long enough to pass comment.

Get one they are lovely!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 13:52:44 »
Think I will Doris, as I said we have a right 'windy' garden but I have a place in mind where it is sheltered by the wall, trees and shed.  We have just taken down a sambucus from there (it was old and rotten, just like me)  so we could put one of them in its place.  The Crinodendron looked magnificent in Dunvegan Castle grounds and noticed the tourists were all taking pics of it.  I had to go and seek a gardener to find out what it was and OHs memory remembered the name - well almost.  Thanks everyone for your comments.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 08:32:36 »
Hi
I have a giant one in my garden , and i would say its very tough. I live in Northern Ireland at the top of a small hill. The wind blows up the hill all the time and this bush is ginormous. In fact this year i hacked it back and made 7 ft poles for the allotment to support my sweet peas and chuncky canes for the dahilas, the chrino just put up more shoots. Go for it wherever you are but keep an eye on its size. Its taller than my trees!
Sunloving

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 21:03:49 »
If it grows anywhere on Skye then it is capable of withstanding any amount of strong winds.  In winter the populace walks about (when it has to) at a 45 degree angle against the gale.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 20:34:18 »
This is a lovely looking plant - anyone know if it's whiffy?
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 11:06:46 »
No pong on mine! ;D

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 02:04:42 »
Oh well, that's that one scrubbed from the list then. Thanks for that, Doris, you've helped me in my attempt to become more disciplined!

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 21:34:57 »
Ohh Amazin, far be it for me to discipline anyone! ;)
I have NO will power when it comes to plants or maltesers! ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal