Author Topic: Fluoride for all  (Read 2167 times)

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
Fluoride for all
« on: February 05, 2008, 21:27:06 »
Ministers launch fluoride drive

Fluoridation in England
Johnson interview

National breakdown
Health Secretary Alan Johnson has called for fluoride to be added to England's water supplies as a key means of tackling tooth decay.

He wants strategic health authorities (SHAs), which are already able to compel water companies to add the chemical, to use those powers.

Critics argue the long term health risks of fluoridation are unknown.

But advocates, including much of the medical profession, say it is a safe, proven way of improving dental health.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7227859.stm

What do you guys think?

Personally I am 1000% against it, as far as I'm concerned it is nothing more than mass medication.

Mass medication pioneered by the Nazis and used in the concentration camps, that is.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

carolinej

• Hectare
Re: Fluoride for all
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 21:31:00 »
Dont really understand the thinking. Apparently, too much fluoride is very bad for you. We are told to drink loads of water every day. Doesnt that mean that some people will be having too much, especially if they already use fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash?
javascript:replaceText('%20:)',%20document.forms.postmodify.message);
cj

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 21:46:43 »
Personally I'm against it.

Not because of the 'mass medication' argument, but simply that there are enough toothpastes out there that contain fluoride, I really cannot see the need to add it to the water.

valmarg

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 22:03:36 »
just hope the water filter takes it out  :-X

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 22:11:31 »
It is in the water in Canada and the kids don't have the decay, but they could brush more as tooth care is really pushed there and in schools, also the kids don't eat the same amount of  sweets, eg they are not allowed to take them or sweetened drinks in school lunchboxes.

To be honest I just presumed it was in the UK water.
XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 22:17:39 »
I am afraid I am in the middle of this as I can see both sides point of view - so I am not sure this is going to be popular.

For whatever reason we have population centres for whom dental care is not a priority. Fluoridation is a way of improving the dental health of the children in these areas - and whilst the arguments and evidence re long term damage hasn't been proven the improvement in dental health are: 40 - 60% better in children in the areas that are fluoridated.

On the otherhand, the children in those areas which are a bit better off do not benefit significantly from fluoridation - as you say - they already use fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash, and probably have regular trips to the dentist.

Fluoridation is a "quick fix" to a continuing problem of managing dental health in the UK. The real question is how much extra do you want to pay in tax to improve NHS dentistry for the whole population? :-\

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 22:35:31 »
So ..... they are planning to put fluoride in the water to benefit the 'whole population' - mainly those who don't use fluoride toothpaste and brush their teeth....fine....but will it end there?
Why not add statins in the water to reduce the populations' cholesterol levels, then we can all eat as much fat as we want , there won't be as many heart attacks  and the NHS finances will be in better shape!

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 01:52:59 »
i personaly am against it, there was added fluoride in the water where i grew up, and i guess i must have been a toothpaste swallower, i have quite bad fluorosis :(
i dont know  if there is added fluoride here in surrey but my kids teeth seem ok so far

I think unles it was taken back out that quite a lot ok the uk water has added fluoride already though

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 06:29:48 »
Jeannine - take a look at this...

http://www.citizenshealth.org/limeback.htm

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 09:08:34 »
If the powers that be have the right to interfere with the water supply, then why don't they use those powers to tackle tooth decay from the right direction? Ban fizzy drinks and high sugar sweets!
 I don't see the reasoning of treating a problem when prevention is possible and certainly better than treatment at a later date.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 12:28:21 »
I would question how much difference it would make even if it was added....how many children actually drink water in any form these days, when fizzy drinks seem to be the craved norm?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 16:56:59 »
Robinof the hood...why?
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Just Vegging Out

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 22:07:43 »
I lived in London and in the 70's they added flouride to our water - about the same time I got allergies and skin rashes and felt generally ill.  I am sure it was the flouride that made me unwell.  I was OK before they added it - then they add it and out of the blue I develop serious allergies and skin rashes and feel ill - convinced it is bad for you!

TOTALLY AGAINST IT 100 PER CENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 22:55:13 »
I think this debate will go on for a long time!
Some areas of the country have natural fluoride in the water & seem to have survived for many years. I know a lot of them & they have an amazing sense of humour.
I grew up in B'ham many years ago with the Elan Res. stuff & lost many teeth. However I must add that the health in teeth maintenance did NOT exist in those days.
The last visit to my hygeinist recommended a toothpaste which is positively sweet!
Didn't do my spelling any good either.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 05:00:57 »
Robinof the hood...why?

Sorry Jeannine, just that it's one of the people responsible for it going into the water of your native country, that's all. And saying that it should never have been done. And apologising for it.

Thought you'd be interested.   :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 19:39:58 »
Ok I see now, I thought perhaps you thought I was condoning/disagreeing  it, actually I am right on the fence with this oneXX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal