Author Topic: Old software on new(er) Operating systems  (Read 1699 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Old software on new(er) Operating systems
« on: June 21, 2007, 10:31:16 »
Has anyone had any expereince of old software causing problems with a more up to date operating system?

Until recently we used the 1999 version of Microsoft Money. it had worked fine for years on Windows 98 and even on an early version of XP.  However I have recently discovered that it  apparently not compatible with XP sp2 and above. The software itself installs and functions fine but it appears to cause 'stop' errors with windows (ie windows stops working and restarts spontaneously).

I came across this by accident. I had been expereincing problems with my (less than 1 year old) PC. I had been regularyl 'stopping' on me. i thought it was a mechanical problem (faulty part or something). It got so annoying that I eventualy took it to my local PC World (where it was bought) to have it checked out. After a lot of fuss (another long story) I was sent away with the PC with instructions to do a system restore (reinstallation of windows) and come back if the problem persists.

So i ran the system restore, which of course meant reinstalling all my software. The machine worked a lot better so thought maybe it was some piece of software causeing the original problem. So decided to reinstall one item at a time, rebooting each time to see what happened. All was fine until I got to Money 99. The PC then proceeded to get numerous 'stop' errors. i realised then that it must be that one piece of old software somehow causing the problem. I then uninstalled Money 99 and all was fine again.

Seems a bit of a strange item of software to cause stop errors, however when to consider its age it seems to make sense. Similar problems on other machines (laptop and previous desktop) now also make sense. All ran/run Money 99 and all experience/d stop errors. Strangest thing is the software itself runs fine on XP. if it didnt it would have been changed long before now!

Simba42

• Half Acre
    • Jen's Allotment
Re: Old software on new(er) Operating systems
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 10:59:41 »
Hi, you can try running the application is a older compatability mode. right click on the icon and go to properties. then go to the compatabilty tab, and see if you can choose windows98. it may help..

if not, may need to buy a newer copy of MS Money.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 11:25:54 »
Oh i already tried that! thanks anyway.

I fully expect to have to get a new version. After 8 years the old one has done good service and offered good value. Cant be without, its so usefull for budgeting the ol' finances! :)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 14:52:47 »
Have a look for a 'patch' or up-date for the software. Usually when this problem occurs the software manufacturers bring out an up-date to fix it.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 21:03:20 »
Have a look for a 'patch' or up-date for the software. Usually when this problem occurs the software manufacturers bring out an up-date to fix it.

Too late I am afraid. Have now ordered most recent version of the software. I doubt very much Microsoft would have an XP 'patch' for money 99. They would much rather you buy a new version!

Thanks anyway.

GA

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 21:39:07 »
Probably just as well, GA. Patches and up-dates or only add-ons and if it's a programme you use a lot then the newby one will probably have a few extra's you'll find useful.
Let's be knowing how it goes, always wanted to be a money man. :)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 21:40:33 »
Can't beat the old Excel - it does everything I want it to do.  :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 08:48:38 »
An interesting problem.

It would seem from my experience, that the old software requires the old library files. So the new Lib files are not suitable. I have some software which contains its own Lib files and successfully runs under win 95/98/XP. The first version of it that I obtained was for the Amiga 1200, when I moved to a PC I then bought the PC version. I can even run it on my Linux machine under the WinE emulator. I have another program which will run under WinE but most Windows progams will not as they seem to require MS Lib files.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal