Author Topic: Great year for pears!  (Read 1095 times)

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
Great year for pears!
« on: July 05, 2007, 20:30:42 »
Most years I could hold my pear harvest in one hand  - or two if I'm lucky!
Just have a look at this lot!

My little old Doyenne du Comice is absolutely groaning with fruit - I can't believe I'm actually wondering whether I should thin them out!

Despite the cold, wet, windy May/June/Julyweather, my fruit has never been better - monster blackcurrants; mammoth hauls of rapberries; big crops of red and white currants; lots of strawbs and super rhubarb. The freezer's almost full already and there are millions of Victoria plums and apricots coming along and what looks like being a bumper crop of blackberries on the way.

I'm so sad to read of all the veggies lost to the floods but I hope everyone else is having a 'fruitful' year.  :-*

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Great year for pears!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 20:41:14 »
Yep looks promising here except we lost a lot of Apples and Plums to a late frost, Gages looking great though!
 8)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 21:37:26 »
The plums I scrumped last year look a little pathetic this year, I'm hoping things will look up soon as I have an attic full of jamjars. ::)
Smile, it confuses people.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 23:26:39 »
These are my pears on a 'family' tree bought at Woolies and planted in Spring 2006. There are 14 Concorde, 7 Williams Bon Chretien and 5 Comice. If they all ripen I'll be well pleased.

Tricia

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal