Author Topic: Botrytis in my onions  (Read 2676 times)

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
Botrytis in my onions
« on: July 06, 2007, 17:55:02 »
Botrytis in my onions :( Necks are soft, but the bulbs look ok. Question is are they still edible.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Botrytis in my onions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 18:04:29 »
Sounds like you have 'neck rot'

This will creep into the centre of the onion and rot them from the inside.

My advice is; pick the affected bulbs and cut away the rotten flesh.

I have had this before and I had to cut up my whole stock and save the unaffected parts.

Obviously in this state they won't keep so I bagged them up and froze them for use in stews, soups & stir fries.

Sorry I couldn't be the bearer of better news.

Before you go the full hog cut one up and see what you find and hopefully I am wrong!!

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 19:26:35 »
I have also got neck rot in my Japanese Onions. If I turn some of them upside down water just runs out.
I thought it was something I had done wrong but everybody I have spoken to has got the same problem.
In fact I am just going to make some onion soup and some cheese and onion pies as I know a lot of them will not keep.

Rosemary

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 09:14:01 »
I have the same problem with my Silver Moon onions. I didn't realise it was neck rot until I read this post...
This year has been really bad for onions and garlics. They either have a rot or bolted. My neighbour has the same problem.

Onion soup and pie sounds like a plan! When I make onion soup I fry a huge quantity of sliced onions until it's brown, divide into portions and freeze. It's really handy when you don't have time to make onion soup from scratch. :)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 11:02:47 »
My onions got white rot just before I went abroad for 3 weeks, no time to grub them out and destroy. Hideous sight, yellow blotchy/grey foliage drooping everywhere. Got back 2 days ago and to my surprise they are growing through it, greening up, and the bulbs, though small, are firm where they were slimy. I'm trying to use them up fast, and cutting the bad bits off as suggested above.

Good tip about freezing them after frying, thanks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal