Author Topic: When to harvest rocket?  (Read 2703 times)

veggiewomble

• Half Acre
  • veggiewomble
When to harvest rocket?
« on: July 02, 2007, 12:27:27 »
A very very basic question here... don't laugh. ;)

I am growing my own rocket for the first time ever. I've sowed the seeds in big troughs under a polytunnel and now they've grown a fair bit - 3" tall on average, many with multiple stalks and leaves. I think it's about 3 weeks since I sowed the seeds. I am just wondering when one can harvest this -- and how - do I cut the stalks and leaves and leave the roots, or uproot the whole plant?

vw

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: When to harvest rocket?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 12:58:46 »
any time you like, we use it as cut 'n' come again as it always goes to seed, we just snip it with scissors, flower heads as well  :)

tinker

• Half Acre
  • warwickshire
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 13:07:38 »
I too use it as a cut  and come again,  I have found the younger the leaves are the milder the flavour is.
All good things come to those who wait!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 09:50:15 »
Hello everyone! Long time no write.
Rocket is something that has actually worked on my plot!! We have had the most unbelievable cold wet May and June and lots of my veg have just rotted :-(
Except the lettuce and rocket!! Which seem to love this weather!
Some of my rocket went into flower (quite pretty even) but I cut it off anyway, with a sharp knife, and just had to separate the leaves from teh stem which had gone woody. The flavour is stronger too. But I love it in a salad with a dressing with walnut oil in it, yum yum.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal