Author Topic: Garlic problem (and onions)  (Read 1883 times)

red_skydiver

• Not So New ...
  • Reading, Berkshire
Garlic problem (and onions)
« on: July 06, 2007, 19:27:06 »
can anyone advise on garlic?

I planted some garlic earlier this year in my garden.  A few weeks ago it started to wilt so I tentatively pulled some up today.  The first had nothing at the bottom, no bulb and no roots.  The second had roots but no swollen bulb at all, the third was just the same as the second.

Last year I had onions growing in the same spot (maybe not wise to put them in the same place!) and they did exactly the same (plenty of growth above ground but no bulbs).  I haven't lived here very long and have never added manure or compost (or indeed anything).  I'm guessing that is the problem.  The veg patch I'm using was already here when I bought the house so perhaps that patch of soil is no longer fertile?  I have courgettes, radishes, runner beans, dwarf french beans, parsnips and lettuces growing healthily nearby....... just no onions or garlic.  I did have a similar problem with potatoes last year too..... plenty of growth above ground just not much underneath.

Any advice/ideas?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Garlic problem (and onions)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 09:33:17 »
Unless you are growing for exhibition onions and garlic don't need much help..
the lack of root implies rotting of some sort but not unexpected in this wet year. The roots but no bulb implies a slow growing one that isn't ready yet... a slow variety or just been held up by the poor weather..
 :-\

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 10:56:34 »
Could this area of ground been contaminated with anything? e.g weedkiller, oil?

Try this experiment; sow a few fast growing seeds of say lettuce or radish in this area and see how these compare with seed you have sown elsewhere.

The result might throw up some ideas e.g. was it the soil or the plants that was the problem.

Get back to us with the results.

red_skydiver

• Not So New ...
  • Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 19:26:32 »
Could this area of ground been contaminated with anything? e.g weedkiller, oil?

Try this experiment; sow a few fast growing seeds of say lettuce or radish in this area and see how these compare with seed you have sown elsewhere.

The result might throw up some ideas e.g. was it the soil or the plants that was the problem.

Get back to us with the results.

I've already grown radish in that spot and they turned out just fine compared to those sown elsewhere. 

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 15:12:10 »
Old Sid my next plot neighbour says if your onions grow well in a bed leave them there, because they can stay put once they are established, any comments guys and gals.  :-\ ???   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 15:20:52 »
earlier this year

Garlic requires a bite of frost to split the clove, it is most likely going on the time you planted them yours didn't get this.

Plant them Oct/Nov this year.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 23:37:10 »
Old Sid my next plot neighbour says if your onions grow well in a bed leave them there, because they can stay put once they are established, any comments guys and gals.  :-\ ???   ;D ;D ;D

Beware of white rot.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 12:44:23 »
earlier this year

Garlic requires a bite of frost to split the clove, it is most likely going on the time you planted them yours didn't get this.

Plant them Oct/Nov this year.

We're as far South as you and planted our garlic at Christmas (the traditional time) and I agree with TG - should have got them in sooner - the leaves  began to fall over before the bulbs were fully developed:  they had split into cloves, just not big ones.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 20:16:33 »
I put mine in in October, and get massive bulbs. They need as long a season as you can give them.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 20:50:02 »
Hi

I planted my garlic in 2 batches, first before christmas and they bulbed up fine.

The ones i planted after christmas are much smaller in fact are more like 'solo' garlic ( one large clove rather than many ).

Although the leaves are yellowing there is still plenty of green so i have left them in the ground.

I presume that they will keep as with normal garlic i have the one i pulled and will be trying it soon to make sure its ok.

I plan on getting my garlic in a lot earlier this year. In fact Aug if thats not 2 early.

Cambourne7

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal