Author Topic: Underwater planting advice  (Read 1362 times)

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
Underwater planting advice
« on: July 08, 2007, 21:15:49 »
After reading the "Rallying Call" thread stated by Amazin (thank you). It has got me thinking about sowing some more seeds and trying again this year.
The problem being is that my plot has been under water for quite a while now. Is it worth sowing seeds as I may not be able to plant them up as I do not know how long it will take for my soil to dry out. I was last up the plot on Friday most of the surface water has gone, but how long before I could re plant (I know piece of string question)?

On top of that all the old crops are still in the ground rotting as I have not been able to dig them out yet will this cause me problems?

Also looking at the above thread it says I could still plant cabages, how would crop rotation work?

Thanks

Gary

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Underwater planting advice
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 08:50:43 »
Forget rotation for this year. You can get leek and brassica plants, or plant brassicas to mature next year. Use trays for that, and plant them out in a few weeks' time. There  are bound to be other possivbbilities as well; what about quick-maturing salad crops?

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 19:48:27 »
Gary, the list of spare seeds I posted on the Swap Shop thread (PM me if you want any) can be sown now in trays and by the time they're ready to plant out, your plot might be okay - don't forget, sometimes it only takes a couple of weeks of proper summer heat to turn things around, so you might as well give it a go!    ;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 22:38:55 »
Cheers Robert

I have seeds that can be  planted in trays, and have a load of lettuce in large pots (on a high table just in case) that where due for planting up last weekend.

What about the soil? I know it will be wet but will it be fit for planting in?

Gary

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 22:57:02 »
I think it depends on what sort of soil you have. If you can turn the soil it is probably OK but if it is heavy and muddy not much will survive there.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 07:46:55 »
That's why I suggested trays; it would avoid the need to plant in it for a while.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal