Author Topic: Hull news  (Read 7411 times)

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
Re: Hull news
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007, 11:11:12 »
what is needed is a major kick up the a**e to ALL the politicians of all partys............we were lucky in our area.well....close to our area...........we had bonnie prince charlie tut tutting over the damage!
i live in donny.we were close to the flooding...........but no homes were affected...unlike bently.
like jennine says................the most unfortune thing here is the folk who have lost everything......and bently isnt one of the most affluent areas of doncaster.............
funding should and must be made available to those who need it..........no matter where the location...........
the insurance companys.....the local councils.....all agencys involved in helping to clear up this mess are going to be streched full time to deal with the situation..........and this all takes time...........someone is always going to be "last on the list".........not much help to those who are still waiting, i know........but thats how it is!
hull was very much in my thoughts too as all this unfolded..i have family in hull.........but thankfully they were unaffected.or should i say unaffected personally.
hulls mp is right to be shouting that they are being left out of all this...........but so he should be..........its his bloody job to get the best for his constituants.........if he wasnt shouting for funds.........id be very angry!
as a side thought................i wonder if all those left homeless or in temp accomadation will get maybe a free year or two of council tax?
lets face it................

this country isnt geared up to deal with the unfortunate events of the past few weeks.
what the few people have done is great.............but sadly.........its not enough!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 11:51:20 »
Olive - point taken, but I do hope that it would be honestly applied in the UK?

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 15:17:17 »
jeannine, and everyone affected by the crazy weather and flooding: my heart goes out to you all.
I can't begin to imagine how you're coping with the devastation. the shock when it happened must have been bad enough but to be faced with the enormous clean up afterwards... it just breaks my heart :(
it's all very well seeing a bit of footage on the news but reading your words has brought home to me how dreadful the situation is.

(and it's made the flood defences in East Anglia hit the local headlines again. the budget has been cut over the past couple of years: apparently the government has decided to let nature takes its course and for the sea to reclaim miles of coastline, and properties and businesses with it. not sure where the £20 million they cut has gone, but pretty sure that they won't be cutting the flood defence budget for the Thames and letting nature take its course in London any time soon...)

thinking of you all.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 15:29:13 by norfolklass »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 18:07:16 »
I've emailed my MP too. Hope it helps. It makes me think of what life must have been like during the blitz.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 18:12:19 »
I found out today that in the area I am in all but 5 streets off the main u shaped main street were damaged, we were in 1 of the 5. I feel uncomfortable about that now XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2007, 18:33:20 »
Please don't. It wasn't something of your doing and it isn't something you can change. Don't do the guilt when you're not to blame.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2007, 18:40:37 »
Thanks Anne, I think our minds conquer up all sorts of funny ideas when we are under stress. I laughed when I read about your dinner, it is good to have friends that you can laugh with like that. So you can have the fun of doing it all over again. XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2007, 19:02:09 »
Your house may have escaped, but your school, which is your life and your career, and your allotment, which is your passion, have not- I think you've had your share and you have nothing to feel bad about, Jeannine!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2007, 19:15:36 »
If you had not been spared, you would not have been able to give such support?

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 19:28:08 »
Exactly Tim - you were spared for a reason Jeannine - someone is smiling down on you. 

Hull has a great community spirit as a city - you will all pull through.

But I appreciate what a bloody awful time this must be. Wish I could help somehow - feeling pretty useless just reading... But honestly I have a library full of books that I am culling - Non Fiction... Could you use them??? I feel i need to do something.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2007, 21:37:28 »
When my village (East Sussex) was flooded in 2000 but my house was not, I assuaged my guilt by taking in 2 flooded families who stayed for 3 months, and briefly sheltering those who I found in the street with their babies, cats etc.. Saw inside their houses - absolutely ghastly and FILTHY, and no amount of helping them to clean seemed to make any dfference. Much sympathy to those now in that situation.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2007, 21:50:48 »
Hi Olive  O, thank you for the offer of the books, I am going to pass that on to someone,as I didn't get flooded I am fine, in fact we are going through our house as we speak and packing up stuff to give away.It is amazing how many things we keep and will never use. My airing cupboard door actually closes  easily now!!

We have now got into our garage and the water didn't get further than a couple of inches in the door which is on a steep slope, so what we thought was trashed actually isn't, and that is good because it is usually full of  furniture and stuff that I get donated to hand over to others. It will all be going  in the next little while  to other folk so I might even manage to get my car back in it.

Thank you all for caring, you are a real good bunch you know!!

XX Jeannine

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2007, 23:07:18 »
whenever the piddley things in life get me down i think of what the hull people are going through and count my blessings. reading about it here has made to very real words are failing me at the moment and that is a rare occurence
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2007, 23:12:16 »
Come on Marg, buck up sweetie,we survived the blitz, it is so good to hear that people care.

When all this is over I have a very funny mock newspaper article about Hull that I am just dying to post but not now 'cos the time is not right, but when folks are in a better position to laugh at themselves again.

XX Jeannine

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2007, 15:20:10 »
I just returned from holiday yesterday and have only just caught up with this thread. My heart goes out to all in Hull.

I was wondering if there is a central contact point where we could send things that may help? Clothes? I don't really know what people may need, but would like to help.

I have looked at the Council website and seen the fund details, just wondered if there is anything else people could help with.

Jeannine, you are a star, don't feel guilty about being relatively unscathed...you have our admiration for all you have done so far.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2007, 23:10:37 »
Is there anyone in Hull who has any Mothers' Union contacts through their local church? Our branch would like to contact and offer whatever support we can. No one at our commitee meeting had friends or family in Hull, so I offered to put a plea on the forum. I have total confidence in you all!!!!!

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2007, 06:38:32 »
Hi Olive  O, thank you for the offer of the books, I am going to pass that on to someone,as I didn't get flooded I am fine, in fact we are going through our house as we speak and packing up stuff to give away.It is amazing how many things we keep and will never use. My airing cupboard door actually closes  easily now!!

We have now got into our garage and the water didn't get further than a couple of inches in the door which is on a steep slope, so what we thought was trashed actually isn't, and that is good because it is usually full of  furniture and stuff that I get donated to hand over to others. It will all be going  in the next little while  to other folk so I might even manage to get my car back in it.

Thank you all for caring, you are a real good bunch you know!!

XX Jeannine

I was actually thinking of the school to be honest jeannine, most are suitable for year 4-6.

Emma
xx

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2007, 08:04:29 »
Oh that is lovely, can I get back to you a bit later in the year when we have a building. I maintain a  library in my my parents block, I allow kids to borrow them if they don't have books of their own  and I have always found these books myself from community donations, the same with all the toys in the creche area of my building. All of those have gone as would take me years to build up again. Thank you XX Jeannine

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2007, 08:07:45 »
Hi Tin Shed, I am not sure about your question, our school is connected to a church close by and they may have a Mothers Union group, I will make enquires fir you today and get back to you,thank you XX Jeannine

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2007, 20:26:54 »
Thanks  for trying to find out for us, Jeanine. I have looked on various websites, but as I don't know Hull at all, I don't know where the most affected areas are or which churches to contact.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal