Author Topic: trying to find a shrub?  (Read 2678 times)

sunflower

• Half Acre
  • it doesn`t cost a thing to smile
trying to find a shrub?
« on: June 10, 2004, 13:33:44 »
There is a fantastic sented plant that is in flower at the moment, it has creamy white flowers with light green leaves i have seen quite a few about & would love to get one trouble is not sure what this fab plant is i think it`s ccommon name is "mock orange" but could be wrong. Can it grow into a tree? I need a dwarf variety if they do one. Does anyone have any ideas?.
Light of my life!

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re:trying to find a shrub?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 14:28:29 »
Found this link, it may help identify if "Mock Orange" is what you are thinking of.

http://shop.loquax.co.uk/td/Home_and_garden/Garden_flowers?page=38

The link above takes you to a website where they sell the plant but I have heard that you can grow it from cuttings. So why not see if you can get a cutting from someone local.

By the way, I also read that this shrub is poisonous to cats so if you have a cat don't let him/her eat it, I can't imagine any self respecting cat would attempt to eat a shrub though!
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 16:53:51 »
Philadelphus;

* A hardy deciduous flowering shrub, that produces flowers with a fragrance reminiscent of orange blossom, in late June.

* Week 18; Set out the rooted cuttings (taken the previous year) in a nursery bed, or pot up into 125mm (5") pots of potting compost and grow on in a cold frame until planting out time.

* Week 28;  Take 100mm (4") cuttings of half-ripe lateral shoots and insert them in pots containing equal parts (by volume) peat and  sharp sand.

Place in a cold frame to root.

* Week 30; Thin out old wood after flowering, taking care not to remove the new young shoots, which will flower the following year.

* Week 40; Plant in any ordinary, well-drained garden soil in full sun or partial shade between now and the end of March.

* Week 42; As an alternative to half ripe cuttings (taken in July) take 300mm (12") hardwood cuttings and root these in a sheltered border.

Insert the cutting 200mm (8") deep into a 'V' shaped trench filled with sharp sand.

Ensure the are the correct way up.

Grow on for a year and transplant out at normal planting time a year later.

The Gardener

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 22:13:50 »
I took a couple of cuttings from my neighbours plant last year, and already mine has made a handsome size shrub, altho no flowers yet.  :-\

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 19:34:03 »
sunflower, some philadelphus plants can get quite big (such as 'Virginal - 10 feet) and also, some of the larger ones seem very susceptible to blackfly - all over Cambridge, i am seeing plants which are totally infested. However, there are smaller plants such as 'Silver Showers' and 'Madame Lemoine' - i think they are referred to as microphyllus (small leaved, i think) which grow to around 3-4 feet and are happy in tubs - also, they seem much more resitant to aphids - i have two, one single and one double and both are lovely and aphid free. i love them.
cheers, suzy

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 00:26:44 »
Here in the South East, Philadelphus seem to be quite lucky and not suffer from aphids.  I have to admit to being extremely brutal with mine; first transplanting into pot to move, then planting it and the moving it when it was almost full grown.  About seven foot high!  Was extremely tolerant.

Another shrub which produces lovely scent before your philadelphus is ready is the choisia!  Evergreen, and lovely during the winter for its deep green foliage and gorgeous for its scent, however, like peonies, not around in flower too long!
Muddy Boots

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal