Author Topic: sweet peas  (Read 1311 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
sweet peas
« on: July 03, 2007, 16:13:13 »
Beginning to pick up again after layering
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: sweet peas
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 16:34:21 »
My favourite flower. You seem to have some nice long straight ones there. You must spend some time cutting the tendrals off.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 16:52:41 »
too right I do. Once you've grown them cordon you are never satisfied with short stems somehow. Thats just my opinion. It's just a shame that they don't last longer than a couple of days. I have found that a tiny squirt of bleach in the water will help keep flowers for just a bit longer, Not only that but you don't get that horrid smell from the water
                             I want em saying

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 18:10:20 »
What a beautiful display, Shirl. I bet they smell lovely too.   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 20:39:42 »
A lovely bunch there Shirl

This bit of information might interest you;

Had a word with David Mathewman of Mathewman sweet pea fame and apparently he grows his along the floor.

The flowers grow vertical without any obstruction thus giving him the long stems he needs for his Chelsea and other flower show exhibits

I have been meaning to visit his spot for a long time now, its around twenty-twenty five miles from me but I never seem to get round to it

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 21:05:03 »
Have just got some seed from them Tee Gee from the GW show. (well a friend got them for me as I couldn't get there.). Interesting way to grow them eh!. I always find that they produce better blooms once they have been layered. I wonder if they are similar to climbing roses cos I know they produce better blooms if you get them to grow horizontal as soon as possible instead of waiting for them to grow up. I might just try to grow a few that way next year. Whats life without a bit of experimentation. So glad you are still there to give a bit of encouragement Tee Gee.
                             I want em saying

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 11:12:36 »
Shirl Just gorgeous. As I mentioned to you before this is my first attempt at growing sweet peas. Yesterday my sister-in-law and her husband came for a visit. They walked up the garden and before we got to the sweet peas Chris said "Oh Ican smell sweet peas from here" Neddless to say I was chuffed. I have saved all your previous advice ready for next sowing.
Lorna

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal