Author Topic: club root advice  (Read 5985 times)

5rod

• Half Acre
club root advice
« on: July 03, 2007, 21:05:43 »
This is my first year on my allotment in sussex and I have just discovered  club root in my brassicas on part of the site should I remove all plants in area and burn now or wait till cropping has finished then dispose. I understand I have to get the ph level high by liming but not sure when I should start and what else needs doing , any advice wellcome.

Kepouros

• Hectare
Re: club root advice
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 22:30:10 »
This depends on whether or not the clubroot was already in the soil, or whether you have unwittingly imported it on the plants.  If the plants were raised from seed in that soil, then clearly the fungus is already there, and you might as well let them continue - how they fare will to some extent give a clue as to how bad the infection is.

However, if you brought the plants in from outside, or raised the seedlings in a soilless compost (particularly one containing peat), then there is always the possibility that you imported the infection with the seedlings.  Check with your neighbours to see whether they know of any previous clubroot on your plot or any adjoining plots. If they do not it might be well worth your while to remove the plants, together with all the soil which has been in contact with the roots, and then sterilise both the bed and your tools with Armillatox. That way you stand a fair chance of nipping the infection in the bud.

Liming should be carried out in the autumn.

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 05:24:25 »
SROD
The PH of the ground has got nothing to do with clubroot, this is a fungal infection that will live in the ground for at least seven years, you can either live with it or stop growing brassicas in the affected area. If you are going to live with it there are a few things that you can do to manage the problem, first as the previous person said treat the ground with either armilatox or jeyes fluid , mark out where you are going to plant dig the holes ready and pour in the solution of jeyes/armilatox a week before planting, secondly make sure the plants you put in the holes have the biggest and best root system not just one spindley root this will help them maintain themselves if attacked, and lastly dig up and remove from the allotment any roots after you harvest the crop

5rod

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 08:04:32 »
Many thanks for your two suggestions am on my way to allotment to check it out

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 15:42:06 »
I go along with Paul & Keporous this is my way; http://tinyurl.com/2b57mr

I think what really helps if your ground is affected is the quality of your plants prior to planting out.

As you can see in the attached pictures my plants are brought on in 3" pots to establish a good root system. Bare rooted plants are more susceptible to club root infection.

The reason I add my lime when I do is; I never manure and lime at the same time so applying it this way fits in with my autumn manuring plus it seems to keep slugs & snails at bay.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 15:45:21 »
I've read that planting out the brassicas in a hole where you've put an inch or so section of rhubarb stem could delay/deter clubroot.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 16:07:23 »
Rod when I plant mine I sprinkle some lime into the planting hole with some potting compost and mix with the soil and water in, I have them taken on TEE GEES idea of liming around the brassicas and as he says the slugs hate it.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 17:03:19 »
I've read that planting out the brassicas in a hole where you've put an inch or so section of rhubarb stem could delay/deter clubroot.

I think it was rhubarb leaf?

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 17:15:18 »

I was troubled by club root for years until taking advice from this forum I limed in the holes and dropped some rhubarb stem in each.

The result?  Great brassicas for the last 2 years  :)
Best laid plans and all that

5rod

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 18:41:10 »
Thanks for all the positive info

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal