Author Topic: Sofas  (Read 1364 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Sofas
« on: July 03, 2007, 15:25:25 »
The last boy has left, and as he did not have a lot of money or furniture I gave him our 3 piece suite which was very comfortable  and being leather has a few years wear left in it.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but on reflection was a bit rash.

We had decided to upgrade and modernise our furniture now we are on our own, so the first job is to give the lounge a makeover.

Can we find a sofa that we both like? They seem to make them so large I will have to change a doorway and build a bay window to fit a decent one in.We are using the conservatory furniture for now but it is not very comfortable so I will have to get something soon. Everything I have sat on in the shops is either to low or d@mn ugly. She wants two sofas but I would rather have an arm chair. All the deals you see on the telly are cheap and nasty so I reckon it will have to be a custom made job and my kind gesture will see me £3,000 out of pocket.

Unless I just get my chair and get her a bean bag.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: Sofas
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 16:09:07 »
buy the boy a sofa bed and get your old suite back :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 17:04:08 »
Took as an age to find ours, and it is plain, brown leather, sturdy yet comfy and looks lovely.  It is a good height for my short legs and we got it from DFS I think, but it cost us three grand and that was 4 years ago.  Finished paying for it thank god!  I agree, you see all these great deals on the telly, but I wouldn't have given any of them houseroom!  I agree on a 2 or 3 seater sofa and a couple of armchairs.  Good luck Ace - I think Barnowl has the answer to your problem!

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 18:37:37 »
I must admit I have laura ashley sofas and so does my parents - very very comfortable and well made... they have a sale on at the moment too...  and if you go in store you get even better bargains with over 50% off.  Oh and they are made to fit normal rooms!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 18:43:14 »
Well our sofas are getting a bit saggy and we were talking about replacing them a few months back. We have 2 x2 seaters and a 3 seater but I don't really know what I want to replace them with. Quite fancy leather if I could find the size and the style I like at a reasonable price.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 18:56:39 »
We decided on leather about 5 years ago and it's been a godsend cos we come in in  our dirty jeans, too knackered to go change straight away and you would never know that a dirty old pair of tramps had sat on it. (that is until someone in a pristine pair of white trousers sits on it)pmsl. best thing we ever bought. It cost us £1,750 in the sale at leather by design. worth every penny.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 19:07:22 »
we went to a local furniture maker, he had a solid mahogany three seater settee and 2 chairs for 375.00, mind you, that was 5 years ago, they had taken it in part ex for a crappy new one and they had re covered it !!  ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 19:27:27 »
I must admit I have laura ashley sofas

I have just looked on line, lovely stuff and even the OH likes the look. We shall go to L A tomorrow. Good prices too. Thanks for the tip. 

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 19:30:48 »
Most sofas on offer seem to have rigid wood frames, but  for comfort you need a proper sprung edge.  

As for big sofas - some of them break into two parts for moving (look for the double castors in the centre).  I would never have got my big sofa in otherwise!  (Although sadly it is usually occupied by the dogs ....)

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 20:42:55 »
All the springs have gone in ours, Mrs Si and the cat are currently sat in it rather than on it  :(

It's not so much the getting a new one that is the problem as the getting rid of the old one.  Coucil are meant to do collections but they rather turn up on the stated week, let alone day so it just sits there for weeks, mouldering the grass and attracting rats and chavs... >:(

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 20:54:51 »
ACE. Don't get done....ring Dom.
(BBC, AM)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 21:53:31 »
I must admit I have laura ashley sofas

I have just looked on line, lovely stuff and even the OH likes the look. We shall go to L A tomorrow. Good prices too. Thanks for the tip. 

sAT on a leather at the weekend and even that was as heavenly as the fabric sofas... let me know how you get on.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 14:36:43 »
Well she got her own way, but a compromise with a large footstool so I can be comfortable.
Laura Ashley was a letdown, nothing in the shop to sit on and try out, I can't see the point of buying furniture from a catalogue, I have to sit on, lie on, twist and wriggle to make sure it is what I really want.

We went to an old established funiture shop which had an end of line but very well made set of leather suites, which according to the blurb are 'handmade in England by our own skilled craftsmen' reduce to half price.

Well she haggled for an hour, and the salesman said he could not sell cheaper unless he cut his commission. She eventually got him down to £1,300
for the two sofas, after words with his manager he agreed. She said we would take it if he also threw in the footstool. I was trying to be invisible and the rest of the shop waited with baited breath for the salesmans answer.  A nod from the manager and he agreed. Smiles all round from the other customers.

The saleman said he had 3 children under school age to feed at home and hoped she could sleep at night.  It seems I get more sleep than your wife she replied. I paid up embarassingly and her parting words to the shop were 'I take it the price includes delivery'.

A celebratory breakfast in Sainsburys followed, I paid for it quickly while she was in the washroom.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 15:23:20 »
Well done Mrs Ace!! No doubt you will appreciate her bargaining powers when you are laying full stretch Ace ;D

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 17:18:04 »
OMG ar eyou sure you aren't married to my mother Ace????

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 22:41:49 »
Go that woman!  Mrs Ace rules okay!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 12:42:20 »
who needs dom, we all need mrs ace  ;D

anything