Author Topic: Opinions please;  (Read 2208 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Opinions please;
« on: June 27, 2007, 12:27:23 »
Don't know what forum this article should be in but as it is loosely connected to diseases I thought I would put it in here.

I have been reading all the postings in recent weeks and months and there seems to be a trend this year on crop failure.

Now I know we have had an abnormal year in terms of weather but that should not affect germination because the seed was produced shall we say 'last year'!

For instance I have had very little problems with seed I have collected myself but I can't say the same for seed I have purchased.

The other thing is where does our seed come from?

I seem to recall a lot of it comes from Israel and Mediterranean countries so my question is; 'Do they work to the stringent rules that apply in this country'? I have a feeling they don't.

An other thing is; if I am correct in where they are sourced is this not like taking coals to Newcastle? e.g.

I agree that many plants we grow originate from these countries but over many years they have been modified (bred) to suit the prevailing (fickle) UK weather.

Now again if I am correct and these varieties are being grown for seed in the aforementioned countries won't the very specific qualities be bred out of them again? ???  ???

I know this is a bit of a crystal ball thread but I would be interested in your opinions or better still any undisputed information you have on the subject.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Opinions please;
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 01:23:29 »
Tee Gee I'm really glad you have raised this topic as no one would have taken me Mr. Shitstirrer seriously. I believe the plant and seed industry has become a blatant rip-off with the casual 'Give the idiots their money back if they complain' attitude. The poor germination is probably due to the seed being 5 - 6 years old before it goes into the packet. If the seed is being mass-produced on an industrial scale then it is almost certainly being stored in large silos after harvest to be packed on demand or sold on until the silo runs low before being replaced with fresh stock.

With the vast majority of seed buying public being fairly new to gardening, they will not realise anything is wrong and blame themselves or the slugs.

You raise an interesting point about the varietal characteristics being lost and for this reason I think it is time for us to vote with our seed money and buy local. There are still a number of small seed firms dotted around and the quality from these family operated cottage industries is vastly superior to the rubbish being doled out by all the national companies.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 17:39:20 »
Hi TeeGee. The worst seeds for germination this year for me were T&M, I have got a lot of my seed this year from Real Seeds and have enjoyed almost 100% germination. I was so sure of their seeds coming up that I spaced them in the seed tray to save having to split them and it worked. They grow stuff that grows well in our climate and that the average gardener can grow. I think that todays seeds are bred for the intensive growing of uniform seeds but I'm sure that the growers must have to buy a load of seed to be sure of a good crop or perhaps they grow in cells and only have to buy the germinated seed. I know where I will be getting my seed from in future. No contest. (and they are reasonable and tell you how to save your own if you should want to)
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 17:43:24 »
I don't know if this helps, but most of my seeds have come from the US and Canada and I have had excellent germination with the exception of one which was Ying Yang beans which are not the easiest anyway. I don't buy my seeds every year apart from a couple of things and my germination is still good on stuff that is 3/4 years old. What I buy is home grown in the US.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Busby

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 18:02:08 »
I also bought a wide variety of seeds from www.realseeds.co.uk and I'm very pleased with the results up until now.  I intend to grow more and more vegetables from seed in future, it's no trouble and adds to the pleasure of growing your own.

I've had seeds from Italy, France, Russia, Holland, Switzerland and Germany - all without any drawbacks. 

Find a reliable supplier (such as realseeds) and you'll be satisfied I'm sure.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 08:05:37 »
I've had good germination with most things, the only problems have been parsnips and some of the more difficult flower seeds.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 19:38:36 »
Parsnips and peppers for me.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 21:35:38 »
I must agree with those who have found Real Seeds to give good germination rates. Almost 100% here from everything I've planted. The rest of my seeds have come from various well-known suppliers and have definitely been worse than usual, say about 60%. The worst germination has been from seeds from Packet Seeds, but I have to say, I haven't planted everything I got from them yet, nor have I tasted anything, so I'm not going to be too harsh on the guys.
I have no undisputed information on the subject Tee Gee.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 21:49:55 »
I have generally good germination rates frrom seeds (usually Organic Gardening Catalogue, Tuckers, and then italian Seed Company and Real seeds). Have had good germination this year from three varieties of parsnip including 2 year old seed. Bit of a problem with celeriace - but this was my first year and after advice on what to do from the forum the second sowing went fine.

My personal opinion is that its the waetehr all the stuff sowed in April to avoid the cold in Feb/March has done really well, indoor germinated seeds likewise, but my successional sowings of lettuce and other staples in May and June - well I am embarrassed by the lack of growth! :-[

Having aid all this I am still optimistic that once Rhiannon's Umbrella song has slipped off the number 1 slot the sun will shine and things will get growing again.  ;D 

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 10:50:10 »
Heavy reading here and maybe you've ploughed through it already TeeGee, but the regulations do explain some of the procedures involved in seed production.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pvs/seedcer_01.htm#Smarketing

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 11:59:31 »
Thanks for that Jenny.

However what I did notice about the article/s is that most of the seeds covered are 'mass produced' crops e.g Beet & Cereals as opposed to what we the 'gardener' use.

The other thing is I think it is DEFRA covering its back for the introduction or non-introduction of GM crops! or is it my synical mind reading something into it that is not there ??? ::)

EDIT; Have read a bit more; perhaps I was a bit hasty with my comments above. I did find some information on 'Vegetables'

What does come over quite clearly as I hinted in my original posting is that British Producers are goverened quite severely but are our European & Foreign suppliers? it is this I am concerned about!!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 12:18:50 by Tee Gee »

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 19:26:37 »
This is my first year. I have Johnsons, wilcos, lidls, heligan, suttons and T&M seed.
Now you mention it, T&M have been the worst germinators for me. I even wrote to them and complained about 4/20 caulis germinating, they sent me a new packet, 13/20 germinated, so much better, and then they just did not grow bigger than about an inch or two tall, so they went in the compost.
I just thought it was my lack of experience!!
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal