Author Topic: New Allotment Owner  (Read 951 times)

AitchEm

• Not So New ...
New Allotment Owner
« on: July 02, 2007, 19:51:33 »
Hi I have just heard the good news that i will be the proud owner of an allotment at the end of this season.  Already i am planning what i shall grow, how and where etc etc, but wonder as the plot faces south east which way should i orientate the rows, facing south east, or facing north east, or doesnt it really matter.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: New Allotment Owner
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 19:59:11 »
congratulations and welcome to the site..our plot just has beds, as long as nothing shades stuff that needs sun, it's ok for us,  :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 20:06:32 »
Well the sun will come from the south east/south west so wherever you can site the beds that gets the best advantage of this is best.

As Manic  states shade can be the biggest problem i.e. one crop shading another.

The jury is out on whether it is best to have the sun shining up the length of the bed or across the bed.

Personally I would go for the latter!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 20:07:02 »
Hello & welcome. Where are you?

The important thing about orientating rows is that they all get an equal share of sun (What's that, I hear everyone ask!) and don't shade each other. My beds run roughly east to west; some rows (eg carrots) run across, ie north to south; others (eg potatoes) run along, ie east to west. But quite a lot of things don't have rows: beans, courgettes, squashes, onions, lettuce.

Perhaps it doesn't really matter? (But my grapes & loganberries are orientated north to south!) Real experts (Tee Gee?) - what do you think?

The really important thing is that you've got a plot!! Hurray!! (You do know how much hard work is involved, don't you? But that's most of the fun!)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 20:09:32 »
Whoops! We all crossed on that one! But I think we've all said much the same really. (Even if I was a bit more long-winded about it.)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal