Author Topic: Blight strikes!  (Read 1255 times)

ladybizzy

• Not So New ...
Blight strikes!
« on: June 30, 2007, 17:59:42 »
I'm still a newbie at growing veg, but I think I have early potato blight looking at photos on the internet.  It's been there about a week I think, but the haulms are still OK, some are yellowing. Should I remove everything and then leave the tubers for a few weeks?
Is there anything else I can do?
Thanks

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Blight strikes!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 18:20:55 »
Same thing here ladybizzy - although I've been growing toms & spuds for a while now... Only noticed it today. I've pulled up all suspect toms - about 30 plants (any with rot or blackened bits on leaves) and coated every remaining tom and spud in Bordeaux mixture. Although it's all washed off by now probably.
I'll keep a very close eye on the survivors over the coming days, and exercise a vicious regime - culling & coating with Bordeaux...

Chances of survival are slim, but it's not fair on neighbours to leave infected plants...

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 20:18:35 »
It does not sound like blight, which rather than turning the haulm yellow, tends to turn it into a blackened mass, unless the weather is very dry, in which case blight is unlikely.

Did it start off like my photographs?

These photos were taken last Autumn of my Christmas crop which of course never happened.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 22:01:29 »
I had what seemed to be blight on my first tomato but having pulled the first one off the plant now seems fine.

ladybizzy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 18:06:58 »
Thanks for the replies and advice - it doesn't look like the photos above- the leaves are all brown and spotty and going yellow, I'm on my way to pull them all now  :(    My other potatoes which are in bags around the garden are all now showing signs...

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 18:10:21 »
A lot of the pots at the lottie have brown patches in the centre of the leaves, and the edges of the leaves are yellow. I had this with 2 of my plants at home, which i have now dug up.
Not sure if it is blight but I wanted to be on the safe side.
I will keep an eye open at the lottie for anything suspicious!

Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal