Author Topic: Marketmore Cucumber ?  (Read 2462 times)

TomaC

• Not So New ...
Marketmore Cucumber ?
« on: July 01, 2007, 16:16:47 »
Do marketmore cucumbers need support? I purchased some of Fothergills seeds and just popped a seed in the ground, and its growing nice but I don't know if/how I need to support it? I thought it would grow "up" a bit but instead the whole thing seems to be trailing along the ground, is this how they grow or should I prop it up? It's just strating to get those tenticle things :o)

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
Re: Marketmore Cucumber ?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 16:38:58 »
I think you can grow them trailing or climbing. The fruit on climbing plants will be straighter.  I'm growing mine up a small bamboo wigwam, tying the plants with some string to help them along.

Just noticed the first fruit today  :D actually. I'll pick it tomorrow.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 23:48:59 »
I've got a couple of plants, still in the greenhouse in small pots.
I noticed the first fruit today, only an inch long.

I suppose I should think about planting them properly.

Raisedbed

• Not So New ...
  • Hampshire
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 23:51:28 »
I'm growing Marketmore up a Wilko's thingymie structure (can't remember the name for the life of me).  First time growing outdoor cucumbers for me this year.   We had several fruit from 2 plants so far.   The fruits don't seem to grow beyond about 6-7 inches (well at least they don't in my garden).    They taste slighter sweeter than a greenhouse variety.   My remaining greenhouse cucumber is struggling at the moment (the wet weather is causing havoc with it) so I may be relying on Marketmore to see us through.   They tend to grow several shoots so you would need to tie those in as well.   And they are very prickly customers.  Watch the stiff hairs on the leaves and stems which can get into your skin.

Sigsy

• Not So New ...
  • South Shields Sand Dancer
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 08:51:16 »
I'm growing Marketmores at the moment, I have 8 plants on the go all fruiting like crazy.   :)

I pinched out the growing point after 7-8 leaves to allow laterals to grow and then train them up (as I heard the laterals fruit more on outdoor varieties)

One of my cukes is a quite a size now, have to resist picking it  ;D

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 09:16:09 »
They look healthy. I only have one plant left and its struggling to grow. Lost 6 to frost begining of June. I reckon this one has had too much rain on it.

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 10:35:54 »
They look healthy. I only have one plant left and its struggling to grow. Lost 6 to frost begining of June. I reckon this one has had too much rain on it.

That sounds horribly familiar - my two remaining plants were planted out two weeks ago, and last week's rain has reduced this to one >:(

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Mouseski

• Quarter Acre
  • Killmouseski "Pest Control"
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 17:51:33 »
Crikey, mine must be sleeping, or saving themselves for the sunshine ;D
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal