Author Topic: Dead(?) weed roots  (Read 1141 times)

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
Dead(?) weed roots
« on: June 30, 2007, 12:36:58 »
I used RoundUp on half the plot to kill off the couch grass.  Seems to have done the trick as it's all gone flat and yellow, compared to the other (next year's project) side which is up to waist height again (will be covering this side when I've sufficient material amassed).

So now I'm digging it.  I'm using a spade to deturf the top couple of inches to get rid of all the dead grass and main bit of root.  I'm then turning over the ground that is revealed by this with a fork.  As I go I'm pulling out all the frizzy little weed roots and chucking them.  But do I need to manually extract all these remnant root bits as the weed killer should have killed them anyway - can  not just leave them in the ground to rot away and add to the nutrients?

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
Re: Dead(?) weed roots
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 12:48:46 »
If they're still white, remove them. If they've gone brown, then they are probably dead so it should be OK to leave them, but to be on the safe side, without being too fussy, I would remove any that come to the surface as your digging anyhow. Live Couch grass roots are usually white and about the thickness of a pencil lead or more.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 12:51:07 by quizzical1 »
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 00:19:56 »
I'm pulling out every single bit, just to on the safe side.
Then burning them.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 00:37:06 »
Today I spent most of my time down the plot on my hands and knees digging out the one bit of my plot that still has persistant couch.....it was the only bit I didn't dig over and extract the roots because it was going to be a path.
My advice, dig them all out, it's a pain but saves you work in the long run......

I am putting these roots in a black bin liner and leaving them to rot down, easier than burning them!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal