Author Topic: Going for a smoke ?  (Read 17269 times)

keef

• Hectare
Re: Going for a smoke ?
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2007, 17:24:55 »
I can't see what the problem with nipping outside for a smoke is that would prevent so many from not enjoying the social aspect of the pub.

I can - now that legal opening hours have been extended. Saturday night - 1am a quite little village pub surrounded by houses, loads of punters on the street smirting, chatting, laughing, shouting, arguing etc...whatever the level of noise, its really going to p*ss some folk off! What about pubs with B&B faclilities ? One of our locals has his designated smoking area in the courtyard - which is surrounded by B&B rooms.

What about disabled people, having to push their way through the crowd every time they want to go out for a f*g? And then only to come back in 10 minutes later to find someone has nicked there seat?

What If your a landlord / bar person running a pub on your own during the week, and you fancy a f*g - well sorry you cant, unless you dont mind leaving the bar unattended.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2007, 18:36:21 »
 The majority of people don't want smoking in restaurants. As a smoker I go along with that. Guess what tho', restaurant owners don't like it!  We've been 'smoke free here in Belgium for a few months now and the restaurant/cafe takings are down!
 After a meal comes the coffee and drinks....and fags! Without the fags a hugh amount of money walks out of the door. Myself and 9 others did exactly that last Friday, last year we visited the same place for the same celebration and sat around for about 3 hours after the meal, drinking a heck of a lot of beer and brandy, this year we legged it right after the meal to a cafe where we were allowed to smoke. We spent all our money there on drinks.
  The answer has to be a bar/room set aside for people to drink, chat and smoke after a meal.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2007, 22:53:13 »
At the end of the day, smokers will adjust, just like they (and others) adjust to each and every other change in life  :)  and if this new ban deters just one more person from lighting up then surely it's been worth it?  :)

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2007, 23:21:52 »
if this new ban deters just one more person from lighting up then surely it's been worth it?  :)

No.  At some point, sooner or later, we will hear of a fatal accident involving a car ploughing into a group of people standing outside a pub, who would have been inside were it not for the ban. 

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2007, 00:36:02 »
I'm pleased about the ban, as neither I nor my OH smoke.  I'm meeting some friends next week in one of the bars in town to celebrate the end of term and am looking forward to not smelling of smoke when I leave.

In my teens I worked in a really smoky bar and I swear my clothes could have carried me home if I'd been too tired to walk.  My nan, granddad, mum & dad all smoked very heavily when I was a child - me and my brother used to sit on the floor to watch tv - underneath the blue haze that was always present in nan's front room.

veggiewomble

• Half Acre
  • veggiewomble
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2007, 06:53:33 »
It's no exaggeration, many restaurants are so tightly packed that whenever people smoke next to you, the smoke gets into your face, your eyes, etc. and there is usually NO consideration shown whatsoever.  >:(

Like OH said, the smoking ban is merely the enforcement of responsibility, rather than the denial of liberty.

vw

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2007, 08:13:55 »
I don't know of a restaurant that allows smoking.  Most of the people I know who smoke wouldn't dream of lighting up in a restaurant.

There are three pubs on my street; one shut last week, another was sold.  They will both become gastro-pubs so no real people will go in there any more.  The only busy days will be on Sundays when the 4x4 comes out with Mother.

A poll of the locals/regulars in my pub found that there was no support for a smoking ban.  Two dissenters were out-of-towners who have bought houses we can't afford any more, who appear about twice a year in the pub, spend  £5 and sneer at us as we are not fashionable, support hunting and don't read the Guardian.   Westminster dictats to us rural types really drive me to distraction.   No one understands me - I demand a therapist and a Pylates course!

Angry Jack 
Jack's in the Green.

veggiewomble

• Half Acre
  • veggiewomble
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2007, 08:39:48 »
I don't know of a restaurant that allows smoking.  Most of the people I know who smoke wouldn't dream of lighting up in a restaurant.

Come to London and find a restaurant that banned smoking before the official ban went up. You'll most likely be eating either Angus steaks or American pizzas.  ::)

vw

aob9

• Quarter Acre
  • Fermoy, Co.Cork,Ireland
    • My Blog
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2007, 08:41:18 »
Let me fill everybody in on the situation in Ireland since the smoking ban came into effect in 2004. I was a 15 a day man until the ban came into force. We made all the same arguments ( and more ) against the ban that I am reading here today. Now, in 2007 the vast majority of people( smokers included) agree that it was a good idea and couldn't envisage returning to the days of smelly pubs, restaurants,clothes, hair,etc, etc.

I now only smoke the very odd cigarette and only when I go to the pub. YES, only when I go to the pub. We have learned that those who continue to smoke despite the ban are the very sociable among us. There is a new subculture where the smoking areas outside the pubs and restaurants are buzzing with laughter and banter. Even the non-smokers come out to join in. There have been a lot of novel 'Smoking' areas set up complete with heaters, ramps for disabled etc.

And if you don't like smoke in your eyes, then stay away, you have no right to complain.For the first time in years smokers are no longer subjected to the abuse over their habit because the opposers are no longer amongst them.

Smokers can still smoke, but it will be in a different way to what they are used to.

Anthony

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2007, 08:46:55 »
I would want to go to London just to be lectured by someone who doesn't like what they don't do themselves - I think they are called Fascists.
Jack's in the Green.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2007, 08:50:53 »
Its too late discussing it now we've let let it happen. Last night local pub had 4 in at 10 o clock normally around 15. Landlord says his takings are down 70% over weekend. I reckon its another nail in the coffin for your local pub and working mens clubs. I bet Tescos are loving it {again}

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2007, 08:54:36 »
Couldn't agree more.  Working men and women are out of fashion, ordinary people don't count.  When my wife says that she is a housewife you should see the looks of disgust she gets.
Jack's in the Green.

veggiewomble

• Half Acre
  • veggiewomble
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2007, 08:58:53 »
I give up. From the attitudes shown here, you people are obviously the reason the ban was needed in the first place!

Touchy!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 09:01:37 by veggiewomble »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2007, 10:25:23 »

Touchy!

So would you be if you were forced to give up a nicoteen addiction.

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2007, 10:42:13 »
My shed seems to be extremely popular since Sat night.  Several pub ashtrays have appeared and the quantity of beer bottles is reassuring.  Consequently I have rounded up a couple more spades and the progress on raised bed building immensely satifying.
Jack's in the Green.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2007, 11:43:47 »
Its too late discussing it now we've let let it happen. Last night local pub had 4 in at 10 o clock normally around 15. Landlord says his takings are down 70% over weekend. I reckon its another nail in the coffin for your local pub and working mens clubs. I bet Tescos are loving it {again}
When none smokers realize that at the end of a night out they will no longer smell like an old ashtray,then the landlord will see is takings go up!

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2007, 11:53:55 »
At least we can argue the pros and cons of the smoking ban on this forum without any abuse, that in it`s self is a good thing isn`t it. ???

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2007, 13:39:33 »
The 'closed environment anti-smoking' policy with regard to work places, shops, restaurants, and transport is one I go along with.
 With regard to pubs and clubs, it should have been introduced as advice to Landlords with them making the decision rather than law.
 After being at work or travelling for ages or after shopping or going for a meal, am I to then walk the park in the dark for a ciggy before that becomes an out-of-bounds area too or go home or just say 'OK, you win, I'll stop smoking?'

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2007, 13:46:30 »

Like OH said, the smoking ban is merely the enforcement of responsibility, rather than the denial of liberty.

vw
[/quote] ::)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2007, 16:44:10 »
Great thread, I've really enjoyed reading through this!
As ex smoker, ex barmaid I can say that if smoke really bothered the staff they wouldn't do the job as it gets pretty disgusting if you do an all dayer and if I still smoked I would be bloody livid at being told I can't!!
The whole issue is moot anyway. My mates local in Dublin has built an extension where the only difference to the bar outside is tht the roof is raised slightly and there is a 2 foot gap in between it and the walls. There is still music, a bar, heating. Ha. So there's always a loophole. I bet wetherspoons build them first.
Oh and no music in pubs???...hell on a stick.  ;D Love music in pubs, obviously not at screaming levels but a good live band you cannot beat IMHO!
Banning  tv in pubs would make more sense - although watching people spend money to sit on a less comfy sofa than their own gawking at Corro is quite entertaining.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal