Author Topic: Going for a smoke ?  (Read 17418 times)

keef

• Hectare
Re: Going for a smoke ?
« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2007, 11:09:23 »
This is'nt meant to be rude, but going on the many of the comments in this and other posts by users on this site,  i dont think a poll would be representative of professional pub go'ers  ;D

Incedentally, this is the first Thursday night i hav'nt been to the pub for ages - its been dead all week..so i could'nt be ar*sed.

Explain it to me then. ???

ok then  ::) take a deep breath - nice and slowly

A poll on an allotment forum is not the same as a poll of people who frequent pubs up and down the country..

I'm not saying that allotmenteers never go to the pub - but the opinions of allotmenteers in general maybe one-sided as we're all fit and healthy outdoors'y types..are'nt we?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 11:17:59 by keef »
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2007, 11:12:46 »
Hehehe!  I bet you wish you had never started this one Keef!   ;D
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2007, 11:15:25 »
  I bet you wish you had never started this one Keef! 

I think you'd be wrong there! ;D

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2007, 11:27:22 »
Right you lot, I said stop fighting or I'd be sortin' ya. Any more and you're barred.  ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2007, 11:30:05 »
I love when women get all feisty!

Isn't she terrifying!

:o
Jack's in the Green.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2007, 11:32:22 »
I am 5 foot of scary Old man.  ;D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #146 on: July 13, 2007, 11:43:47 »
tee hee @ Emmy  ;D  ;D   

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #147 on: July 13, 2007, 11:50:07 »
Quaking in me wellies   :o
Jack's in the Green.

johnslottie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #148 on: July 13, 2007, 11:50:37 »
Did anyone wonder why most professional pub goers smoke, because the rest of us get fed up with the smoke and stop at home  :o  Things might start to even up a bit now!
Let there be sun!

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #149 on: July 13, 2007, 12:04:08 »
Smokers stay at home, off license & supermarket alcohol sales go up, pub profits go down, pubs close, non smokers stay at home.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2007, 12:08:44 »
Tescos win again.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2007, 12:10:51 »
Tescos win again.

We'll you've always got your sloe gin ? ah - Tescos victory gin  :(

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #152 on: July 13, 2007, 12:12:45 »
This is'nt meant to be rude, but going on the many of the comments in this and other posts by users on this site,  i dont think a poll would be representative of professional pub go'ers  ;D

Incedentally, this is the first Thursday night i hav'nt been to the pub for ages - its been dead all week..so i could'nt be ar*sed.

A poll on an allotment forum is not the same as a poll of people who frequent pubs up and down the country..

I'm not saying that allotmenteers never go to the pub - but the opinions of allotmenteers in general maybe one-sided as we're all fit and healthy outdoors'y types..are'nt we?

But Keef ma duck,thats like saying just because  i don't very often go swimming and don't look like i go swimming very often , :-[ i should not be asked  my opinion as to weather people should be allowed to p*ss in my local pool or not. ;)

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #153 on: July 13, 2007, 12:14:04 »
Tescos win again.

Not around here the concil won't give them planning permission as there are too many objections the same council won't let starbucks in as it would lower the tone of the area so they should be stubborn enough to keep Tesco out for a while yet.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #154 on: July 13, 2007, 12:17:26 »
But Keef ma duck,thats like saying just because  i don't very often go swimming and don't look like i go swimming very often , :-[ i should not be asked  my opinion as to weather people should be allowed to p*ss in my local pool or not. ;)

Hahah!!  I so wish I had thought of that one!
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2007, 12:20:19 »

But Keef ma duck,thats like saying just because  i don't very often go swimming and don't look like i go swimming very often , :-[ i should not be asked  my opinion as to weather people should be allowed to p*ss in my local pool or not. ;)

;D You should'nt get so pissed, then you'd make it. Does the landlord mind ?

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2007, 12:24:14 »
 ;D ;D

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #157 on: July 13, 2007, 14:25:12 »
Sorry, just thought of a few other things from licensee point of view. No smoking means no ashtrays to sweep and wash which would increase staff productivity and allow everyone to go home a bit earlier! Also when I ran pubs I didn't allow staff to smoke on their way round the pub or give smoking breaks (evil) when staff stand at the end of the bar fagging it. This is a huge problem for landlords, especially when the staff have been there longer than you have and do pretty much what they want and is also disgusting as they then usually go on to serve customers without washing their hands!! So the ban sorts that out too. I would think most landlords are quite happy with it. I'll make some calls and let you know! I can even make it cross regional from here (Bournemouth) to Brum!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2007, 09:00:14 »
Why should non-smokers (like a friend of my wife's) end up dying of other people's lung cancer because they work in places where they insist on smoking? And why, for that matter, should non-smokers end up effectively pushed out of otherwise decent places by other people's smoke? I totally agree that loud music etc. can be badly off-putting, but so is smoke. Music and mobiles don't kill anyone.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #159 on: July 16, 2007, 11:21:38 »
I have phoned 6 licensees including my mum. Only one does not support the ban and he is a licensee operating in a very deprived area where there is no other trade apart from the locals.
The brewery will not pay for a covered smoking area as his pub does not make enough profit. In fact he barely breaks even and in view of the ban and the lack of potential growth for the pub the brewery are considering selling it to developers.
The other 5 (including my mum who is no longer a licensee) support it for many reasons and agree that it widens their customer base and makes for a much nicer atmosphere. None are fazed by grumbling customers as they put up with it every budget!!
Thought you'd like to know!!  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal