Author Topic: Going for a smoke ?  (Read 17421 times)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Re: Going for a smoke ?
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2007, 14:25:52 »
Lap dance club Old Man! ;)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2007, 14:32:58 »
Oh I see.  Can't see the point in paying for something that you get for free at home.  My Doris can't lap dance but her method of locomotion is a glory to behold!

Afterwards I never have a f*g, just an over-inflated sense of acheivement!

Jack's in the Green.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2007, 16:21:43 »
For you eyes only.  ;)   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2007, 23:33:52 »
 "Use only berore, during & after sex"
[/quote]

The best reason yet to ban smoking in public. :o

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2007, 23:38:33 »
It would be interesting to have a poll on this subject to see truely how divided the lines are on this subject... anyone care to start one?
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2007, 23:53:13 »
Going on most of the regulars in my local - a poll on this site wont be a true representation of the general feelings about this...
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2007, 09:42:04 »
I agree with Keef.  A poll on this site would be non-representative sample as we are discussing smoking in pubs.
Jack's in the Green.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2007, 19:53:34 »
Why's that then ???

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2007, 20:31:40 »
 ??? ???
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2007, 22:56:34 »
This is'nt meant to be rude, but going on the many of the comments in this and other posts by users on this site,  i dont think a poll would be representative of professional pub go'ers  ;D

Incedentally, this is the first Thursday night i hav'nt been to the pub for ages - its been dead all week..so i could'nt be ar*sed.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2007, 00:44:14 »
What a load BS >:(believe it or not but none smokers are as you put it "pub go'ers". And makes not a jot of difference if you go out every night or one night a week. It would be nice to hear from a publican if there is one out there, and get there opinion on the subject. :)

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2007, 02:43:48 »
Whilst I am not a publican I can tell you what has changed at my local since the ban came into effect on the 2nd April.
I live in a rural area my local is 400 yards up the road the next pubs would be 5 miles in one direction or 12 miles in the other. Before the ban the pub was always full of people both for the beer & the food it is one of very few pubs in the area to have a 24 hour license & was typically open 22 hours a day people travelled from as far as Machynlleth 12 miles away, Newtown 18 miles away & Aberystwyth 30 miles away to get here despite the fact that all of those towns have plenty of pubs to choose from. The pub operates a taxi/minibus service exclusively for their customers to get there & back. When the ban first came in the number of customers halved overnight people stopped coming from the surrounding towns & villages except at weekends. By mid May it was down to just people from the village. By June staff had to be laid off & the opening hours were reduced to 12:00-14:00 + 19:00-00:00. Now the landlady is talking about reducing the opening hours even more as she only gets 6-10 people in on a good night the rest of the staff will have to be laid off the taxi license will not be renewed unless things change & she has decided she can afford to give it a year for people to adjust but if things haven't picked up by next April she will sell up.
She is a smoker herself & doesn't like the fact she has to go outside everytime she wants a cigar because she is not allowed to smoke in her own home as it counts as business premises. I could tell you what she thinks of the ban but most of what she says would be filtered out & I expect you can work it out for yourself.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2007, 07:35:19 »
Baccy Man - I find it so hard to believe that so many people have stopped going to this pub just because there is a smoking ban. Just goes to show how addictive it is. It is obviously life changing in more ways than one. That's sad.
Keef - your liver should improve if not your lungs....LOL!!!

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2007, 09:00:27 »
The landlord and landlady of my local allowed us to continue to smoke until a letter from the council saying that there have been complaints from people (who don't hapopen to go in the pub, and all newcomers.)  S and C have watched takings dwindle; Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Sundays, are now empty.  The girl who worked there is laid off.

The pub was sold yesterday to Enterprise.

The End.
Jack's in the Green.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2007, 09:28:23 »
It is unfortunate that as a result of the ban that takings are suffering - I heard on our local radio station this morning that takings are down 6.2% but I don't rekon this will last long. 

Even when I smoked I only craved a ciggy in places that I was allowed to smoke.  I was a nanny at the time and dispite being on 15 a day I didn't want one at any time that I was in the families house.  People will get used to it.
SnooziSuzi

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2007, 10:15:36 »
You have no idea about the trade in my local, nor about the people in it - so mind your own business.

MIND MY OWN BUSINESS!!!!??   >:(

Hang on a minute,  you have openly and smugly told everyone that you intend to break a law which has only been implimented to protect vulnerable people from ignorant, irresponsible individuals like you and you tell me to mind my own business!! 

You are acting like a spoilt kid who'se been told he can't have something so you're going to stamp your feet and beligerantly defy the law until you get what you want.  Good luck with that!  ::)

I don't care what your local is like, or the people that go there;  I'm sure that many of the people who frequent the pubs in my village would have the same opinion as you do about the ban, but the point is that by smoking in an enclosed public area you are breaking the law.  If you were any kind of a man you'd have some respect for the people around you and do the decent thing! 

I suppose that EVERYONE who goes into your pub smokes?  Well in that case why not lock yourselves in there and sit and stink and grow your cancers but don't do it where other people are around who just want to have a pint without smelling like an ashtray.

As I have said in a previous post, this law has ony come into place because smokers have always had the choice to not smoke around other people but have chosen to waive that right.  I used to be a smoker (I know, there's nothing worse than an ex-smoker) so I know what I'm talking about.  I also have come out the other end and have been 'clean' for several years and I used to smoke everywhere and anywhere without any regard for children, adults or anyone else around me - I can't believe how selfish I used to be because I just didn't care about them!

So go and smoke in your pub, in a doorway or anywhere else where it is now illegal to do so and I hope you are caught and fined over and over and over and over again.

Mind my own business indeed!

Read what you said previously, the paragraph beginning "As I have said in a previous post......"

You don't get it do you?  The damage is already done, the old style pubs have lost out to the Slug and Fat Bast***D.  Old style drinkers like me have stopped bothering.
Jack's in the Green.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2007, 10:35:56 »
What a load BS >:(believe it or not but none smokers are as you put it "pub go'ers". And makes not a jot of difference if you go out every night or one night a week. It would be nice to hear from a publican if there is one out there, and get there opinion on the subject. :)

I quite agree plenty of non-smokers are pub go-ers - read my post, thats not what i said..

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2007, 10:49:10 »
This is'nt meant to be rude, but going on the many of the comments in this and other posts by users on this site,  i dont think a poll would be representative of professional pub go'ers  ;D

Incedentally, this is the first Thursday night i hav'nt been to the pub for ages - its been dead all week..so i could'nt be ar*sed.

Explain it to me then. ???

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #138 on: July 13, 2007, 10:54:48 »
OK peeps. I am ex publican so here is my opinion. I would have accepted the smoking ban and looked forward to a better food trade which brings in about a squillion times more profit than the beer. Sorry, but that's the cold truth business wise.
I would have spoken to the brewery about a smoking area, covered, maybe patio heaters to try and accomodate my smoking customers as much as possible.

The problem is that not all the pubs I've run have been in areas where a really good food trade is always possible. It took me a year once to build up a steady lunch trade and I had to literally pay people to come in at first.
Some pubs are in very poor or rural areas - these pubs will probably carry on as they always have once the fuss has died down, they have no choice really, their customer base is very limited and unless their whole area regenerates won't change.

I do sympathise with landlords at the moment - it's bad enough when the tax goes up on beer - the constant moaning from the customers over a penny on a pint. This must be hell!

Now all of you stop fighting or I'm coming over there to sort you out!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2007, 11:06:56 »
*sigh* OldMan, I think it's you who doesn't get it!

Yes, I used to smoke
Yes, when I was a smoker I openly smoked where I felt I wanted to in public places
Yes, I was selfish

However, I did not smoke in places where it was not permissable to do so, and it was (and still is) not permissable to smoke in the home of someone who didn't allow it.

It may surprise you that I'm not a complete moron and I do have a sense of decency and I knew that if an employer / friend / family member didn't allow smoking in their premises that I wouldn't do it, and this will be something that I'm sure you abide by too.  

Clearly you don't like me, you don't like what I'm saying and I can respect that.  If everyone had the same opinion about everything it would be a pretty boring place and this thread wouldn't have gone on for as long as it has.

The fact is that smoking is being seen even more as socially unacceptable and the government have decided to impliment this law without consulting people.  I didn't vote for this government I voted for another party so you can't even blame me for this government being in power.

I DO think it is unfortunate that landlords are losing out, but this won't be forever. Things will pick up and when they do people will look back on this whole thing and say that it wasn't so bad after all.
SnooziSuzi

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal