Author Topic: Greenhouse Ventilation  (Read 1744 times)

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
Greenhouse Ventilation
« on: June 29, 2007, 12:56:30 »
Hello All,

I am now the proud owner of a greenhouse  ;D ;D ;D

Planning on getting it all glazed this weekend, but have a quick (and probably simple) question!  ???

I have an auto window opener for the roof, but also (as I smashed a 2x2 pane) am going to treat myself to a lourve for the wall (from Agros, £20!)

As you walk into the greenhouse the window roof vent is on  the left (west-facing), therefore would the wall vent be better in the righthand side (east) wall? or can it go in the back wall (North)?
Also do these go at floor level, or could I fit it one pane up??

Thanks for your help  :D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Greenhouse Ventilation
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 13:37:05 »
The key is to create air movement so any position that encourages this is best.

I would not put it on the north end for the simple reason that in winter......yes in winter! greenhouses sometimes require ventilation so if placed in the North end you might get icy cold draughts coming in.

Personaly I would put it low down as this will induce convection currents which will keep the air within the greenhouse on the move i.e. cool air coming in at low level and pushing the warm air situated in the roof space out the roof vent.

If you go this route place the louvre in the back half of the greenhouse to look after the back end of the greenhouse, the door will look after the front end.

Let me add this is only an opinion! I say this because other factors can play there part i.e. where the greenhouse is located in the garden e.g. near fences and walls

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 06:00:40 »
Good thinking, that man!!

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 11:39:30 »
 ;) What we do with out him

Tee gee rocks  ;D
Life is to short !!!

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 11:44:28 »
[quoteInsert Quote 
  What we do with out him
][/quote]

sorry  ???  that's what would we do with out him  ;)

( I'm wet, come in to have a rest from making homemade sand bags,ie sainsbugs bags and clay soil !!!, I knew those bags would come in for something ;D)
Life is to short !!!

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 13:30:57 »
Hi All,

Thanks for your replys. Lourve vent was fitted this weekend into the back wall of the greenhouse, at the bottom.

Bought it from Argos for £20.00 (cheapest Ive found) - and Ive gotta admit I'm quite impressed with it!

One note: the lourve is 2 foot x 18 inches. So after fitting I went to the local glass shop and bought a 2 foot x 6 inch peice of glass, and also a 2 foot by 18 inch peice to replace one I'd broke above it....(2nd note: - leaving glass propped in a corner when its windy aint a good idea!)  wasnt till I got back to the plot I worked out that 18 + 6 = 24... i.e. just a standard pane would have done!!!!!  :-[ >:( ;D

Ah well.... you live and learn!

One good thing is that everyone who noticed me putting my greenhouse up has kindly donated me plants, and it is now full of tomatos, chilli peppers, sweet peppers, cucumbers.....
mmm, might need a bigger one now!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal