Author Topic: what herbs do you grow?  (Read 4504 times)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
what herbs do you grow?
« on: June 28, 2007, 09:46:44 »
I am growing:

Basil, Lime Basil, purple basil, siam queen basil. Parsley envy, Thyme, rosemary, marjoram, Dill, Dwarf munstead lavender, purslane, sorrel, the chervil died so sowing that one again. Hyssop, sage, mint - pennyroyal, spear and pepper.

What are you growing?

broad beannie

• Not So New ...
Re: what herbs do you grow?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 10:00:38 »
Only growing parsley and basil. The trouble is I'm hopeless at cooking so don't see the point in growing herbs that won't get used !!  My parsley plant is about 2ft high and i have only used about 5 leaves !!!
Live for today

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 10:03:33 »
We grow basil (one green, one purple), parsley, oregano, mint, and thyme.  Oh, and nasturtiums, becasue we like to add the flowers to salads.

We grow quite a lot of lavender, too, if that counts.  But it's more to attract the bees than as a crop.

David R

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 10:08:41 »
purple sage, bay, chives, thyme, parsley, oregano, nasturtiums, rosemary

Phil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 10:13:16 »
I use lavender in place of rosemary in cooking sometimes.  Anything that uses aromatic Mediterranean style herbs like thyme or rosemary - part substitute lavender.  And hyssop!  You hardly ever see it mentioned in recipes but it's a great Mediterranean style herb and it's supposed to be good for respiratory conditions.

You don't need to be able to cook to use parsley or any of the soft herbs - just chop them up coarsely and add them to stuff!

Am I the only person who prefers chervil to parsley?  I always use chervil during the summer and use parsley during the winter when the chervil is finished. 

I have been self-sufficient in herbs for about 5 years now.  I used to get so annoyed at the supermarkets because they hardly ever had the herbs you needed and they were so expensive.  But once I learned to grow my own there's been no going back.  Parsley, coriander, chervil, mint (which grows wild in my garden), oregano, basil, save, dill - in fact I have the opposite problem now that I have so many herbs I don't know what to do with them.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 10:38:14 »
I'm starting again from scratch. So far all I've got is basil, parsley, corianders (one variety for leaf and one for seed, though I've yet to discover the difference), mint, tarragon (both), lemon balm, a spicy oregano, lovage, sage and thyme. I've taken cuttings from an old lemon verbena, one of my favourites, but which are a bit slow off the mark, and ditto winter savory. I have nasturtium dotted about, but mainly as a sacrificial crop among the brassicas.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 10:49:05 »
Rosemary, thyme, winter savory, oregano, golden oregano, sage, purple sage, pineapple mint, mint, coriander, curry plant, lovage, parsley, dill, lemon verbena, coriander, angelica, nasturtiums, chives, tarragon, basil, lavender and chamomile and bay  :)

I love me herb garden I do  ;)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 10:59:22 »
not much yet, but have some inhertited mint, rosemary and bronze fennel in the garden.
used to have a loverly big bay bush in a pot but someone nicked it :o >:(
my first thought was pesky kids but as I could barely lift the pot myself it must have been grown ups who knew exactly what they were stealing... grrr.

LucyJ

• Not So New ...
  • Hemel Hempstead (ickle east facing Garden)
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 11:10:11 »
I have parsley on the kitchen window sill thats doing lovely and chives in the garden older ones that i have inherited that i let go to flower as i didn't know what they we're at first and have some young ones that i grew from seed that had an attack of the green fly got rid of them and it was growing happily untill the slugs got to them this week but are starting to rear there heads again with all this rain.

LJ
http://lucysgarden.blogspot.com/
Hemel Hempstead (ickle east facing Garden)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 11:19:08 »
Not enough!  Basil, parsley, sorrel, thyme, rosemary, sage, mint, chives, bronze fennel, corriander.

Have dill still to sow.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 11:27:04 »
In the garden we have a large bay tree, rosemary, sage, thyme, lavender for the bees.  On the lottie we have rosemary, sage, mint (3 types), parsley flat and curly, dill, fennel, oregano, golden oregano, chives (we should have more at the house under the roses), lemon balm.  I'm not too good with basil, when we get our polytunnel I'll try again.
The Tuscan Beaneater

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 11:47:00 »
Im married to a chef who insists on parsley, basil, coriander, rosemary, mint and chives and im sure more will follow i have always kept all sorts of dried herbs and spices in the house and we use loads of other types so im sure the collection will grow

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 11:51:06 »
I love herbs..  I bought a selection at strawberry fair and one i cannot remember the name of it... it smell a bit like bubblegum.

veggiewomble

• Half Acre
  • veggiewomble
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 12:02:22 »
Peppermint, because its so easy! It comes back year after year with almost zero care. :)

Rosemary, parsley, coriander, oregano and chervil -although thats mostly all turned purple now and I might have to get rid of it.

Trying to germinate basil from seed, but its taking forever!!!  ???

vw

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 12:04:34 »
yes that happened with my basil too took ages and is miles behind the others planted at the same time

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 13:26:16 »
basil likes heat!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 13:29:24 »
oregano, yes I have oregano in the garden also, altho the leaves are so very hot!  I don't think it is very culinary!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 13:35:49 »
If anyone would like some apple mint (my fave for bottling) I've loads of roots to spare - PM me an addy.

Lishka

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 20:39:01 »
I've got a bay tree, thyme, parsley, lemon coriander, rocket, oregano, mint and something else that I've forgotten the name of. Oh and 5 chives ...

Have managed to germinate basil, lemon basil, purple basil, fennel and coriander but every time a seedling appears it gets munched  :'( :'(

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 23:01:43 »
Loads of lavender, rosemary, fennel,dill,bay,corriander,sage,parsley,oregano,hyssop,french tarragon,garlic chives,basil,marjoram,newly donated mint,lemon balm,horseraddish,thyme,catmint,feverfew and borage.

I like making stuff with dried herbs.
Smile, it confuses people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal