Author Topic: sweetpea advice  (Read 1874 times)

sarah

• Hectare
sweetpea advice
« on: June 21, 2007, 07:46:04 »
i am growing sweetpeas this year for the first time (well the first time i have got them to the flowering stage anyways). they are doing great and are really healthy and the flowers are just gorgeous. one thing i wonder though is if there is a way of growing them so that the tendrils dont interfere with the stems of the surrounding flowers as i get a lot of kinky stems. is this cos i am growing them too closer together or is there a top tip to know. or is it just something you live with?

markfield rover

• Hectare
Re: sweetpea advice
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 10:23:54 »
My MIL as a small child was given the job to cut em all orf  so I think that may do it!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 13:35:54 »
If you are supporting your plants with ties/rings there is no need for the tendrils so cut them off.

The strength saved by doing so helps flower production!

Plus do not let the plants produce seed pods once this happens they will stop flowering.

So if you have too many flowers it is better to cut them off and give them away or go to the extreme of composting them rather than let seed pods form.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 18:47:27 »
ahhh cut the tendrils off. ok, thats what i'll do. thanks for that.  ;)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 22:09:55 »
Thanks for asking that question Sarah. First time with sweet peas for me as well, I have been cutting loads of flowers as I remember reading .... the more you cut the more you will get. I also have a lot of kinky stems. Now I  know what to do :)
Lorna.

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 01:17:44 »
For once, something I am familiar with.  My dad used to grow them. I used to cut them in flower and take them home for mum.  loved the  perfume.  Cut and come again,  let a few grow to seed for next year. Happy memories.  Just got a plot and sweet peas are a priority.
got a lottie got a life

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 09:42:46 »
So if you have too many flowers...

Too many sweetpeas? Absolutely impossible!! I'm currently picking two or three vases a week from mine, and I still wish I had more!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 15:35:16 »
they are so gorgous arnt they. i have small vases all round the house. cant believe people spend good money on plug in air fresheners (pet hate), when you can have sweetpeas. i knew about picking regularly and i have been getting a good bunch every three days or so. as for cutting the tendrils off i think i will have to remember that for next year as i have planted them far too close together this year and there's tendrils everywhere.   ;D

LJ

• Quarter Acre
  • Bridgend, South Wales
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 19:43:08 »
I know this question is in the wrong place and should be with 'Edible Plants'. HOWEVER after reading what Tee Gee said about cutting the tendrils off sweetpeas I wondered does this apply to peas too??? Would the strength be saved and increase pea production!?!  ???

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 19:58:28 »
Would the strength be saved and increase pea production

Technically I suppose it would as they are of the same family but as the are generally grown in a different manner I don't think the effort of cutting them off would justify the effort.

Sweet peas are generally sown singly and grown as cordons so it is relatively simple to keep on top of the tendril removal.

Whereas peas are generally sown more thickly i.e. they are strewn along a wide drill and come up quite thickly and as a rule side shoots are not removed.

Note I said generally but I have known some exhibitors to go to extreme lengths to grow 'winners' so who knows there might be someone who has gone to these extremes.

LJ

• Quarter Acre
  • Bridgend, South Wales
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 20:14:57 »
Thanks Tee Gee  ;D Sorry if it seemed like a daft question, but I thought if I don't ask I'll never know. Thanks again, LJ

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal