Author Topic: Hemorocalis (The Day Lilly)  (Read 2519 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Hemorocalis (The Day Lilly)
« on: June 18, 2007, 13:01:44 »
Just bought one of these delightfull plants. I got it on the premise that it liked damp soil and would go well in my 'damp'/Bog garden. I read or saw on TV that it was good for such situations.

Now I have got a plant of it I now find that most of the books say it wants free draining soil! I am now completely unsure where to plant it!

Can anyone advise me as I am now confused; Bog or Border?

Thanks

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
Re: Hemorocalis (The Day Lilly)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 13:17:35 »
Mine are all planted in the borders, mostly in partial shade. I do have one growing in full sun and that one needs watering when the weather is hot and dry. Is your plant big enough to divide? If so you could try both bog and border. Daylilies are quite tough plants, so they may thrive in both!

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 13:23:06 »
Hello

Mines in the border

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 15:23:04 »
We have dozens of the things. what they really like is plenty of moisture during their growing season, but drier conditions when they are dormant. The do not mind full sun if they have plenty of water or partial shade in drier soil. In fact you can plant them almost anywhere and they will thrive.
Gardening is the great leveller.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 15:55:26 »
I have them all over the place mainly in pots and no matter how much I neglect them
they just carry on regardless. They are a brilliant plant ,Morrisons have been selling them
£1.79 smallish ,some about to flower but good stong plants and named varieties inc' RHS
ones.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 16:34:45 »
I think what might be key is if your bog garden is in a frost pocket, if so, DON'T plant them there.

Mines are in the border and they seem to thrive on neglect.

Will have to split them this year!

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 15:03:04 »
In my experience they grow everywhere, apart from very dry/sun. Great plants, they are.

I always get worried in Spring as the slugs/snails chomp the new growth to the ground, but a month later the plants are romping away as usual..

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 16:14:18 »
Just to add extra confusion - I grow some on sandy free draining soil in full sun, cheek by jowl with lots of other stuff - and they fight back.  I have to split them every other year.

OK, they're not fancy varieties or anything ( small early yellow, big orange, late small yellow), but by this time next year I will be looking for homes for the excess.

You have been warned!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 17:57:54 »
Just to add extra confusion - I grow some on sandy free draining soil in full sun, cheek by jowl with lots of other stuff - and they fight back.  I have to split them every other year.

OK, they're not fancy varieties or anything ( small early yellow, big orange, late small yellow), but by this time next year I will be looking for homes for the excess. You have been warned!

Yeah, to be fair, I remember at Tatton last year there were lots of day lily combinations with things like Verbena bonariensis and Scabious, both of which like it well draining and sunny..

And phwoar, those are gorgeous. I'll be standing in line for any excess, certainly.. ;)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 19:34:36 »
Me too, I wouldn't mind some of those. You will have to post when they are ready to split and I will deff have some from you. I will pay for them and then you can get yourself something different.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 10:08:58 »
Thanks for replies.

Decided to pop it in a gap in one of my (drier) borders where I had recently cut a large oriental poppy back. This is only temporary as i am planing to revamp the border when the summer is over (haha! what summer you say?::)). When that happens it will be found a permanent home.

Whilst it has had a nice watering in it has not yet decided to open up the flower buds it had on it when we bought it (2 weeks ago). Hopefully it wont be too long before we get to see thouse wonderfull blooms!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal