Author Topic: Site Broken into  (Read 5074 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Site Broken into
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 11:52:12 »
Our youthclub have a mini allotment that a couple of them look after which i think is sweet.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 12:16:53 »
If more people thought the way Emmy does I'm sure it would lead to less problems on plots. If the kids are given a chance to grow something they'll certainly not think about wrecking it. Also they'll appreciate the hard work that goes into growing things.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 16:26:13 »
The two kids that I took to my lottie yesterday from the primary school I work in were fascinated.It was a treat to see them watering etc. I would love to run a community lottie for kids, mostly they like to see things grow.My two were amazed at the simple way a brocolli grew and finding strawberries and rhubarb was like Christmas morning. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 20:12:47 »
That's why we have school visits and a schools centre... we have 600+ primary school visits a year... some come two or three times... It's a long term strategy as the boss won't let secondary pupils in... too cheeky!
 ::)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2007, 20:29:14 »
best way, saddad, hopefully they'll remember what they were taught when they were little  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2007, 19:08:08 »
I'm with you Emms not soft its just that you feel not all kids are hooligans and given the chance they might be interested and maybe one day they might stop someone vandelising an allotment, well I can dream can't I.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2007, 19:12:28 »
I think the important word in what Manics says is taught, I think kids are eager to learn but they don't take orders so well, there isn't the blind obedience of yesteryears, sadly many of them don't get taught at home they get they are dominated, and they rebel harder and younger then they ever used to.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2007, 12:14:45 »
I get fed up of this in the summer.  The Last 2 nights a group of 16 years olds have come into our allotment and done alot of damage.  They have chopped trees, broken into sheds / rolled sheds over and burnt what ever they can before being disturbed.

When disturbed they ran off and LET THEMSELVES OUT WITH A KEY!  If they get hold of keys from someone, there really is no hope.

I get so fed up of it.  The police really don't want to know as they have no proof....Is there anything that can be done?

You have to let yourselves "OUT" with a key.Does the gate lock automatically behind you or do you lock yourselves in?

On our plot the gate is closed but not locked while someone is on the site.It does get left unlocked occasionally but not often and there are times when some of us do get locked in by mistake but apart from that we are very lucky to not have any problems ......yet!.There is a new housing estate(only 17 houses)being built on our doorstep and we may have problems then.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2007, 07:56:12 »
We have to let ourselves out with a key as well; the gate is locked all the time. People inside the site just aren't visible, and you can't see what's going on.

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2007, 07:00:21 »
We are supposed to lock the gates each time we enter and leave the site...there are the odd few plot holders who just can't be bothered to get out of their vehicles to carry out even this small task.

We are experiencing a spate of what appears to be in-house thieving at the present time...someones whole crop of gooseberries disappeared last saturday night...I will have to check mine are still there as I lost mine overnight last year.

Its silly things being taken such as...
A water tub
Thirty-six eight foot canes
A row cut from a seed tray full of lobelia
A lettuce from a greenhouse
Four dahlia tubers
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal