Author Topic: 'swimming pool'  (Read 3672 times)

nitiram

• Half Acre
  • Living in N.E Lincolnshire but from Ripley,Derbys.
    • 'The Musings of a Senile Delinquent'
'swimming pool'
« on: June 26, 2007, 16:38:30 »
Has anybody else got a swimming pool for an allotment?   Went to check on mine this morning after all the rain...to find that the top half is completely submerged, but the raised beds that the old blokes laughed out so whole heartedly in the spring are standing high and dry, plants unbowed. True they are surrounded by a rather full moat but not washed away. 

It is very disheartening, but am very grateful that it is only my allotment that is under water as parts of the town are evacuated and flooded.

"Chi mangia bene, mangia Italiano. ~ Those who eat well, eat Italian."

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
Re: 'swimming pool'
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 20:41:07 »
 :) same here nitiram but as you say it could be worse,I'd rather lose my lottie than my house,

take care / shades x
grow your own way

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 07:58:18 »
We are relatively unscathed here... stream through the brassica beds and a moated polytunnel... My sympathy to all the afflicted..
 :(

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 09:01:09 »
I feared the worst yesterday when I arrived to find a small stream coming down the hill at me at the allotments!

My raised beds are also fine, the flat rows are also suprisingly ok, but I noticed when digging some potatoes up where the ground had been dug previously the soil was moist, but when I dug down in an area that has been covered by black polythene for at least six months, the surface was dry, but it was saturated a foot down! Weird......... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

nitiram

• Half Acre
  • Living in N.E Lincolnshire but from Ripley,Derbys.
    • 'The Musings of a Senile Delinquent'
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 09:07:36 »
Indeed weird. Last week when i dug down to see why I had no potatoes it was dryish on top but about a foot down completly swimming in water...weird indeed
"Chi mangia bene, mangia Italiano. ~ Those who eat well, eat Italian."

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 11:32:06 »
I feared the worst yet.......... the surface was dry, but it was saturated a foot down! Weird......... :-\

That will be what they call the "water table". There is probably an impervious substrate somewhere below ground, and the water accumulates on it. Maybe even coming from quite a long way away. Its why natural ponds and lakes have water in them(they don't have liners to keep it in). The more rain we have, the higher the water table gets, until the ground is saturated, and that is when flooding starts
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

GaryJS

• Not So New ...
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 11:40:49 »
Mine is on a slope... It was more of a fast flowing river.. Hopefully it will help some seeds I planted to germinate.. If it doesn't wash them away!

Mouseski

• Quarter Acre
  • Killmouseski "Pest Control"
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 12:04:38 »
Yep us too, we've had standing water for nearly a week now. Lost the lot  :'(

Our lottie association has been very good though, spending a few hundred on drainage pipe/hardcore/gravel etc.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal