Author Topic: Blackcurrant & Redcurrant bushes - removal  (Read 994 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Blackcurrant & Redcurrant bushes - removal
« on: June 25, 2007, 18:32:40 »
I've got both and they're both for the chop. Question is......will they be OK to offload onto a friend, even when I've cut them down to their roots,  or should I keep a few branches on the roots for her?

Thanks.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Blackcurrant & Redcurrant bushes - removal
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 18:40:07 »
I think that you need to take as good a rootball as possible if you give it a light trim it might survive the move. If not she can cut it down a little more. Its certainly what i did nd the plants have survived.

however i believe that later in the year is the right time to move plants when there dormant.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 20:20:08 »
Thanks Cam.....however these bushes are having a short-back-and-sides, no mercy,  unless I really really must save a couple of branches ::), so....rootballs OK to give away or shall I compost the lot of them do you think?

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 21:54:08 »
If you`ve got to get them out now, then the more top you cut away, the better the chance they have of surviving - particularly if you can keep intact as much of the rootball as possible (actually `rootball` is a bit of a misnomer, as they will probably have long straggy roots going out in all directions ).  If your friend can get them in the ground while it`s still wet so much the better.  Tell your friend to mix a good dollop of bonemeal in the planting hole, not to let them dry out, and after a week or two to give them a light dressing of sulphate of ammonia to help them form some new growth.  They won`t fruit next year, of course.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 08:43:47 »
Thanks for the reply 'Kep'.....and good to see you back. Have wondered how/where you are. Thanks to you (and cheap coffee) my neck of the woods is still remarkably slug free 8)

Regards, Lishka

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 12:45:25 »
The biggest problem most plants have with being moved at this time of year is that disturbed roots can't take up much water. Hack them back ruthlessly so thre aren't many leaves for them to lose water through, and be prepared to water if the weather dries out.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal