Author Topic: growing peppers??  (Read 1411 times)

blue_eyes82

• Not So New ...
growing peppers??
« on: June 22, 2007, 11:34:46 »
still new to grwing veg, i want to grow peppers, i had bought a plant fromthe store but it didnt seem to take, when is a good time to start them and how should i go about it??
i have been given books but i would like real people advice

thanks  :)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: growing peppers??
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 11:58:41 »
Are you growing outside or in a greenhouse?  I didn't have any probs in the greenhouse, but outside, they weren't happy, tho I believe you can get varieties that are bred for outside.
The Tuscan Beaneater

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 12:38:00 »
I grow mainly chillies, but I have grown a few sweet peppers before, they didn't grow very big outdoors.

My very mild to normal heat chillies do well outdoors in a lot of sun, but the very hot ones need the
high temperatures of a greenhouse.

As for starting them off, I usually plant the seeds in february, if you buy (or scrounge) a few plants now you should be ok.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 14:06:16 »
Hiya.
I started mine in late Feb, peppers and chillies. They can be slow to germinate and get going so you may be a bit late. Cheat and buy from your local grocer or garden centre this year!
mine are going to stay on the kitchen windowsill i think as i don't have a greenhouse. I'm putting maybe 2 of each on the plot to see how they get on. I will be putting foil under them to act as reflector and get as much sun on them as poss.
Good luck!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 14:48:51 »
First attempt but thought I would try outdoors so have planted mine out on the plot (yesterday) with my aubergines, have surrounded the bed with double glazing units- not a pretty site! but like the idea of silver foil! will be trying that one :)

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 14:24:37 »
Glass around the bed sounds ok Susiebelle.

We are in Berks and put sweet peppers (and aubergines) out under barn cloches (mid-late May), removing the cloches when the plants are bursting to get out (usually late June, ie probably next week). They are on their own from then on.

First peppers usually picked around mid-July and they go on until the first frosts. We grow Gypsy which is very prolific. The fruits are slender and pale green in colour.

Aubergines are not as successful .. occasionally get a bumper crop, more often it is modest - depends on having a consistently warm summer.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 09:15:08 »
Gypsy - prolific, yes.

But pale green|? All depends!!

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 21:20:32 »
Great peppers tim  ;D

You don't have a piccie of the actual plant do you?  I'm wondering how mine are coming along (although I think I already know the answer...  ::) )
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 21:25:39 »
I have just come back from the plot having tried to rescue mine.  They had been  doing so well but were swimming in water when | got there.   When I stood on the earth I sank in almost to the tops of my boots.  The poor plants were sodden.  I have put them in pots and left them in a neighbours greenhouse overnight  to shelter from the rain and wind.  I hope that they will survive...

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 21:26:58 »
I am growing mine outside on the pathway along the south wall of the garage. They have flower buds but they haven't opened yet - I don't think they like the cold either!

Great piccy Tim - mine only got like that in late August last year.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 21:45:08 »
Growing mine in the glasshouse but with the low temperature and low light levels caused by all these rain clouds they seem to have come to a stand still, no flower buds as yet. :'(

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 06:10:48 »
Those were in September last year. Not a peep yet this year!

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 07:11:01 »
I have one minute cayenne pepper on one plant in the unheated greenhouse, but lots of floweres, s should get quite a few. No flowers on any of the others yet, but the plants themselves are starting to grow rapidly now, after a slow start.

cj :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal