Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 20542 times)

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2007, 18:31:35 »
I've just found out the bookstore in our town isn't opening at midnight  :-X so... anyone know if tesco's stores are selling the book?  (Please say yes, i don't want to have to wait til 8am for the bookstore!!!!!!!!!!!  :D
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2007, 18:38:58 »
of course they are although asda will be cheaper!!

Got up at 5pm :-) and feel a little better although my mum has been stranded at West Hamsted train station and cant get home :-(
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 18:42:02 by cambourne7 »

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2007, 18:41:31 »
Thanks cam - think i was in panic mode ;)  Don't mind about the price too much (think it'll only be about £8.50 ish in T's) just wanted to make sure i can get it tonight  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2007, 18:42:32 »
if its 24 hours then you will be fine :)

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2007, 18:44:48 »
Yep, it is - phew!

Anyhow, best get on, i've just got to the bit where harry's snogged Ginny in HBP so gotta finish it before going out later for the new one  ;)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2007, 19:01:54 »
only 5 hours to go :-)

i think we should agree that were not going to post anything till sunday so people have a chance to read the book - what do you think??

Can anyone translate the latin clue?

http://www.bloomsbury.com/harrypotter/
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 19:14:05 by cambourne7 »

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2007, 19:14:29 »
i think we should agree that were not going to post anything till sunday so people have a chance to read the book - what do you think??

My wife is getting the book tomorrow, but I will not be reading it until I go on holiday in 3 weeks time. No one in my family will give clues away, so as to spoil my enjoyment of the final tale, but I may need to desist from this site if discussion of the plot is going to take place.
On other sites, spoilers (as the posts are known) are given sensitive treatment, eg a header to indicate the possible spoiling content, and many blank lines so the text is scrolled off the bottom of the page. The reader can then make a decision before proceeding. This is done voluntarily, but is expected for collective benefit.

Just a comment, but may be of benefit to others.

I will highlight this post to Dan, in case he considers it a worthwhile idea.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 19:17:10 by Curry »
The impossible is just a journey away ...

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2007, 20:38:38 »
Drago dormiens numquam titillandus? =never wake up the sleeping dragon?

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2007, 00:28:13 »
never tickle a sleeping dragon. School motto.

ACE did you ever have a crush on someone when you were a kid? It's the same for many children who have grown up with these charactors isn't it?   I saw children in tears tonight because they are leaving their first school,so attached to that building and the people working there. Those same emotional and thoughtful kids are just as attached to the stories they read...it's just they get some acknowledgment for it now. I don't think that is such a bad thing. I have seen my own son, who wasn't old enough when the first books arrived to pay any attention to them ,become totally engrossed in the books and the charactors. Harry Potter helped him deal with having to wear specs. Harry Potter has made him interested in reading,Harry Potter as got him playing chess . He will feel a huge sense of loss when his favourite charactors go. For the moment they are real to him and it makes him imagine and think and wonder.  Lucky for him I am here to help him ,to talk to him and not dismiss his feelings. Some children won't have that.

Now if any adults ring the helpline....hmmmm.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 00:56:04 by Heldi »

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2007, 07:00:43 »
I agree Heldi. I saw the Childline bit on the news last night about a helpline, and they recognise the attachment children get to characters in books and the potential upset they may have when the finale approaches. I wasn't sure it was letting the cat out of the bag though, the were emphasising how just the end of a series can be upsetting rather than the 'deaths' of major characters, especially when there has developed such a ritual around the book launch with kids queuing and dressing up etc.

I'm up early, still not back in normal sleep pattern after nights, full of cold, and have been dreaming about the new book! It should arrive this morning..... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2007, 09:03:32 »
Book hasn't arrived here either . 

I still can't make my mind up whether to read it or wait until next week when the audio should arrive. Will I be strong enough not to take a peek ?  ;D

Hope you feel lots better Deb.

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2007, 10:34:17 »
d**n Amazon - my book STILL isn't here!

Fortunately we went to Tesco at midnight and got a copy. I read it until 2:30 then slept and read again from 7 - 10.  Finished now.  ;D

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2007, 13:48:53 »
Blimey smiley, i got mine at midnight, read til 3.30am then slept til about half 9, been reading since and am only on chapter 12 or 13  :o  Not going into the other thread til i've read it all  ;)  ;D  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2007, 18:27:18 »
Mine arrived in the post at 9:00am.. eldest son has read it, we went to the film as a distraction... now younger son has it ... may get it tomorrow pm...
 ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2007, 19:01:22 »
Got the book about 07.30, up to page 349 at the moment between naps!
I'm quite impressed so far...!
Having to fight to keep the kids from trying to read the end!! ;D ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2007, 20:14:59 »
went to waterstones last night to get my book qued from 11.30 to 1.40, when i left there was easly enough people to wait for another 3 hours!! The police even turned up to help the security guards keep order!!!

Read 81 pages before i fell asleep and woke up feeling like death.

I have got to page 311, with the aid of cold flu stuff and some naps :-)

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2007, 20:51:04 »
Why put yourself through all that?  I just don't get it.   ???

I nipped out to do a bit of shopping this afternoon, plenty of shops selling it, stacks of copies everywhere.  I didn't buy it, but if I had, I'd probably be well on the way to finishing it by now.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2007, 22:13:22 »
the girl at the checkout in Tescos tonight was very sorry for herself. She said she'd finished the book ??? It was more a -what am I going to do next sorryness, rather than an - oh my God they're all dead sorryness by the way. I said if she said anything else i'd have to kill her, and I gave up after book 4.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2007, 23:50:10 »
Half way through mine (bought at woolies this AM) Youngest saw it and immediately turned to the back pages! >:( >:(  Said I was stressy as I was screaming at her, "I don't want to know, i don't want to know"! :o ;D
The girl at woolies said it was amazing how many people had walked in, read the last few pages and put the book back on the shelf!
I am hoping JK anticipated this and has put a spell on them all! ;) ;D
Right off to bed with Harry....he gets everywhere, was in the bath with me earlier! ::) ::)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2007, 00:06:40 »
mine arrived at 9 am.   Postie said "I think this is yours." I said "Yes it's Harry Potter" "Oh I see!" ,he says," You'll be staying in all  day then!"   

I showed it to my son and then I put it way up a height on the book shelf lol!  I'm waiting for Stephan Fry.  ;D

Anyway. I don't know if how many of you know...my m-i-l  has lung cancer...her cat of 13 years went out about a fortnight ago and has not ever come back. She is devastated. We went to the cat & dog shelter today and have found our very own Cruikshank! We had to take him into the cuddle room to see if he is compatible with the children as obviously we will be taking him on when m-i-l dies. We hope to pick him up tomorrow  ;D  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal