Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 20136 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2007, 13:30:18 »
seen the film last night having re-read book 5 beforehand and there is tons cut out. The film is good i would give it 7 out of 10.

I am re-reading book 6 before book 7 comes out.

fun fun fun

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2007, 14:21:23 »
I guess I need to get the last book out and give it a re-read...................was not too impressed with the last 2 (too long and waffley and just not up to scratch), and this comes from an ex- avid Harry Potter fan, wicked mother who buys the book for her children, stays up all night to read it, then gives it to them the next day.......that way if i get there first, they can't tell me the plot! hehehehehe
Hopefully this new book will re awaken my admiration for JK and the way she can write for all to enjoy!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2007, 14:36:49 »
We are off to see the film tonight, I reread the Half Blood Prince, and OOTP in preparation!

We had a massive HP party for our daughters 9th birthday (now 5 years ago!), the kids at her school still talk about it...we did go a bit OTT.............

I dressed up as Professor McGonnagall, I had some yellow 'cats eye' contact lenses that totally freaked the kids out! OH was Hagrid (he is of suitably demi-giant proportions) complete with big beard, we had a magician for entertainment who went along with the theme and I was surprised the kids were so enthralled! We spent ages painting 'house' banners to decorate the living room, hung net lights on the ceiling to make a magical atmosphere, and I made a 'Hogworts express' train birthday cake.

We 'sorted' the kids into houses  (via a sorting hat of course) for team games as they arrived, they all dressed up as well, lots of interesting Quidditch type gear on the boys!They had to get their 'lucky dip' present from a bucket of 'maggots' (cooked pasta in vegetable oil).you should have heard the screams! The parents coming to pick the kids up thought we were nuts, but we all had a great laugh.....I'll try and sort out a few pics to scan in, didn't have a digital camera then.....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

PlotSurfer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2007, 16:09:37 »
I’m a massive Harry Potter fan – and proud!

Went to see the latest film last night, it’s good but they can never match up to the books!

I’ve been renovating my house over the past few months and Stephen Fry’s readings of the books have helped keep me sane through the weeks and weeks of diy!

Sad enough to be really looking forward to the next book, and even sad enough to be queuing up at midnight to pick it up!

I’m not really into all the theories and sub-plots that other people are coming up with, but I think it’s great that some people are – I love enthusiasm for anything like that!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2007, 17:09:28 »
Saw the film last night, as others have said, a lot missed out compared to the books, but enjoyable never the less.
Here are a few pics of the HP party we had in 2002.....

A bit dark, but you can see the banners quite well...

OH as Hagrid with a Hermione..

Not sure what he came as....but seem to be enjoying themselves!

Me in the middle, (complete with 'cats eyes') two witches and a 'Monsters Inc' monster!

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2007, 23:41:21 »
Deb that party looks like it was soooo cool !   

Found this to play with...

http://www.20q.net/harrypotter.html

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2007, 00:03:16 »
seen the film last night having re-read book 5 beforehand and there is tons cut out. The film is good i would give it 7 out of 10.

agreed!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2007, 00:37:08 »
I saw it tonight and thought they did a great job of fitting a 700 page book into just over 2 hours. I particularly liked the way they used the newspaper reports throughout the film to add in details about stuff they clearly couldn't fit in to the "storyline" of the film.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2007, 12:17:43 »
Heldi!! Love that game! Had it fioxed for ages (room of requirement) and apparently am part of the wizengamot. Hee hee.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2007, 16:17:05 »

I ordered the new book way back in Feb. Recieved an email yesterday letting me know it is due to arrive on Saturday. Woo hoo! To think that so many people will have already read it and be discussing the final outcome before I've got my bum out of bed is really funny.  My son can't believe people will be reading it whilst he is fast asleep! 

Have the audio on order but it won't be arriving until after Saturday. Would I be able to prevent myself from finding out what happens until it arrives???!!!

Did you see JKR on Jonathan Ross a fortnight ago?  She said there is a bloodbath...eeek!

Read a rumour that Dudley turns out to be a wizard...there is supposed to be someone who unexpectantly has powers ..but Dudders?!! 

Me too emmy! I stumped it with the Wumping Willow!  Might have another go now.  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2007, 18:04:00 »
I will have the book 1/3 finished by then!

I plan on sleeping in friday and then going to get it at midnight.

I did toy with the idea of pre-ordering but i usualy sleep though the post man on say at 8am :(

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2007, 00:19:44 »
ooh good lots of potter fans me too me too, i got sorted into gryffindor too, was anyone put anywhere else? Dumbledores brother ? Snape or Voldermort, I think Snape will come good dont think Harry will die too obvious as for Percy I too have my suspicions. cant wait was gonna go to the shop at midnight but as were going on hols on sat am at 7.30 will need some sleep so will buy it on the way up somewhere and not let anyone see it till I have read it lol
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 00:23:05 by debster »

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2007, 01:12:45 »
anyone worked out who R.A.B is yet??

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2007, 10:03:14 »
Nooooooo. So annoying.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2007, 10:17:28 »
Help! R.A.B.???  ??? Give me a context please.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2007, 10:35:43 »
I used to live near Edinburgh and I used to go to the central Library with my youngest son in a pushchair and afterwards I quite often went to the nearest Cafe for a coffee. I used to sometimes see the same woman there with a child in a pushchair asleep while she was engrossed in writing. You notice other Mum's with children about the same age. Now I know who it was.

My son the one in the pushchair got cross when he started Year 3 at his new school as they were calling him names! It turned out he was being called 'Harry Potter' because of his resemblance to the film version of Harry. On book days at primary school it was easy to choose a character to dress up as....not much costume was needed.
He even has his own scar above his eye...in slightly the wrong place and the result of a school playground accident. A problem with a fast growing mop of hair. He caused quite a stir when we went to the first film. He's had to 'sign' autographs at school. He's at secondary school now and some of the kids still call him Harry though he now wears rectangle-shaped glasses has longer hair and is into heavy metal.

There will be a big fight for the book on Saturday morning, three of us usually try to read it at the same time or when someone puts it down someone else takes over. Tim aka Harry saw the film on Sunday a friends birthday treat but he has wisely not told us how it was.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2007, 10:37:14 »
At the end of Half Blood Prince when Dumbledore has died and Harry has realised that the locket he and DD had gone to get was not a horcrux (vessel in which to store bits of your soul, used by Voldemort and made when you murder someone. When you kill someone you lose a piece of your soul and a horcrux is a way of keeping it for future use) he opens it and finds a note to Voldemort (goes to get book...finds page...aha!) which says: I know I will be dead long before you read this but I want you to know it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hope that when you meet your match you will be mortal once more.
R.A.B.

I have been through everyone I can think of to no avail. All will be revealed very soooooon!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2007, 10:48:23 »
Having just re-read the OOTP, I kept a lookout for anyone with anything like those initials....when Sirius is looking at his family tree and explaining it to Harry, he mentions his brother Regulus who had the initials RB but is now dead (mabey?)....don't know his middle name! Could it be another member of the Black family?
I also wonder if it's Harry's aunt Petunia who can do magic, she is Lily's sister after all..?

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2007, 11:48:48 »
Lilly was muggle born and magic does not always follow.

I am convinced that RAB is not a black, but i think it might be a group or more likly Borgin and Burkes   They run the magical curiosity shop. And i only remember one being mentioned in the books. Maybe they feel guilty given Voldi got his first job there?

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2007, 00:33:25 »
I understand from today's BBC news that someone has uploaded the latest book onto the web.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal