Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 20141 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 19:00:56 »
That happens all too often, unfortunately. The author pulls the stops out to get the first one accepted by a publisher, then either gets lazy and self-indulgent, or runs out of ideas and just runs on the name for a bit.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 01:04:18 »
It's my big fear that there will be a mad dash to the finish. 

I don't see why Harry should die. From the very start we have had death, with him being an orphan.  It is a book for children and a magical book in that, so why must he die?

When you read the books again ...keep an eye on Percy. He doesn't really ever come back to the fold...he could be a chink that Voldermort could use? Or maybe he will save Harry in a last second reevaluation of his loyalties?!

Afterall Harry is the boy who lived!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 01:28:41 »
And all things aside...I've been put in the Griffindor's by the sorting hat. Result!

http://harrypotter.warnerbros.com/

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2007, 22:02:36 »
I agree heldi.  I hope it doesn't happen, but i feel that harry will have to sacrifice himself to kill voldemort.  Hope i'm wrong!

Will watch out for percy then - thanks for the tip off ;)  I'm gonna re-read from goblet of fire onwards (read the others so many times!).

Where's the sorting hat game tho? x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2007, 06:38:24 »
someone give me a 5 line precis of the last book please.

can't remember a d**n thing and won't have time to read it again before the end of July.

cheers muchly.

:P
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2007, 11:03:57 »
Funnily enough, I've just started re-reading it, because I can't remember a thing about it either!! ???
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

calamityjayneuk

• Half Acre
  • Stanley, Co Durham
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2007, 13:11:13 »
I love Harry Potter too! Although I agree that the last two books have been missing some of the funny touches of the others.

I like that JK makes sure nothing gets leaked and love the buzz that is created before the launch of each book. Then it's a race with all the potter fans I know to see who gets to the end first, and lots of cautious conversations "have you got to the bit where....." trying not to spoil it for the other person but dying to discuss! Then I have to read again a while later, coz I gobbled it up in a few days and need to read again slowly. (sad aren't I  :P)

I read a while ago on one of the websites a list of rumours that JK has confirmed or denied - v interesting, so hunted it out.

Here it is from 'mugglenet.com'

Before each Harry Potter book comes out, there are always people who will try to turn theories they've concocted into fact, or even those who will simply create rumors for the fun of it. Currently, there are a few rumors about Book 7 and below you can find the ones which JKR has debunked.

Character Information

* Dumbledore is really dead. He is not in hiding and is not coming back.
    * There will be no character named "Icicle," and JKR said she didn't recall saying there ever would be.
    * Dumbledore is not related to Harry
    * . Harry is not related to Voldemort, and he is not related to Salazar Slytherin.
    * Lily Potter is not alive.
    * Lily was not a Death Eater
    * Crookshanks is not an Animagus.
    * Neville is not Peter Pettigrew's son.
    * Remus Lupin does not have a twin brother.
    * Petunia is not a Squib.
    * Dumbledore is not Harry/Ron from the future.
    * Mrs. Norris/Crookshanks is not an Animagus.

Plot Information

* Harry will not become Minister of Magic.
    * Peter Pettigrew’s silver hand will not kill Lupin.
    * Lupin will not return as a DADA professor.
    * The prophecy refers to Harry, and not in any way to Neville.
    * The final part of the prophecy does not mean Harry has to kill Neville, or vice versa

Other

* The title of the book will not be "Harry Potter and the Pyramids of Furmat."
    * No prequel books (books that take place before Harry's time at Hogwarts) are planned.
    * "Keeper of the Keys" has no secret meaning.
    * The Sorting Hat is not a horcrux

:)
I was wondering if Snape was anything to do with the prophecy and if his actions in HP6 mean he has created a horscrux of his own? And having read HP6 again last week it looks like Harry may not even be in school this year at all - possibly he will be off searching for horscruxes instead. Hmmmmmm

MrsKP I will pm you with HP6 details so it doesn't spoil it for others
When I'm not working, I'm diggin' or craftin'

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2007, 15:36:30 »
I can't remember a thing about Book 6 either.  Don't remember what a horcrux is and don't care.

What about the rumour that she fired her editor after Book 4 and continued without one?  Explains a lot if true.

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2007, 10:12:49 »
Oh dear, Calamity's list has ruined my day. I was sure Dumbledore could not be dead. What will become of us??
Heldi - thanks for this thread. I will also be camped outside the bookstore, and shuffling into the film next week, mildly conscious that I don't have a child to accompany me.
Chantenay.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2007, 14:02:38 »
Rotten raspberries...I typed a long reply and then lost it!  Hate it when that happens.

Kitten sorry! I'd had a few sherries when I posted that link!  Look at the time I posted it anorl...am I sad or wot! 

I think you click on Harry Potter's Pensieve and the sorting hat quiz is on the left. When I click on it now it recognises me by the the name I entered the other night so I guess that is where I was!

Calamity ..thanks for all that.Brill!

I am still holding out for a return of Dumbledore...I don't believe JRK !   Yes he may well be dead but forever?! When there are those at Hogwarts who still believe in him??!!

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2007, 20:34:59 »
No worries, i'll be off there again shortly to try the pensieve thing - can't wait to see which house i get put in - not slytherin, not slytherin, not slytherin  ;)

Re dumbledore - do you think the clue's in the phoenix he used to have (self combusted & then regenerated each year a la dr who styleee)?

It's all so exciting!!!

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2007, 11:41:31 »
Ooooh I don't know now kitten.   I watched Goblet of Fire last night and thought "Oh no!" when Dumbledore says to Harry that there is no spell powerful enough to bring back the dead.  :(

The Phoenix could be a good clue though couldn't it.  It belongs to Dumbeldore and is linked to Harry and to You Know Who via their wands.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2007, 16:54:26 »
Oh no I want DD to be alive!! The thing is he may not be 'dead'. In most stories with wizards they seem to go through a process where if they die or seem to they come out stronger, kind of wizard evolution? I hope that happens. But if she says he's not coming back... :(
I would say it's anyones guess what is going to happen. It's wide open... ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2007, 11:23:26 »
My son and I went to see the new film last night.  We both thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it is the best one yet.  Obviously lots of the book is missing but in this case that is no bad thing really.  The film is still about three hours long.  My son was on the edge of his seat thoughout and I have to say my eyes didn't stray from the screen either. 

;D

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2007, 11:25:45 »
Oooooh Heldi, I'm jealous!! I'm taking the eldest girls at the weekend, youngest is getting Shrek 3. Why is the cinema so expensive these days?  :(

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2007, 11:38:18 »
I know. Then there is the obligatory snacks. I'm going to take my own next time. Saw a consumer programme a little while back...it isn't actually against most cinema's policies to take your own food...they just don't like it because they want you to buy theirs.

My OH and the Toot were supposed to see Shrek3 whilst me and my son were doing The Pottering. Unfortunatly it was cancelled so they ended up spending some of the time in Pizza Hut lol!

You and your daughter are in for a treat Emmy.  It's a rolicking good wizarding jaunt !

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2007, 11:45:14 »
Eeeek! I can't wait!!! I'm taking her to book shop up the road to get her copy (which I will read when she is asleep!). It's the night beore my birthday too so will be fun.  ;D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2007, 12:54:08 »
Oh brilliant! throw yourself a Potter Party !

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2007, 13:03:23 »
Hmmm, good idea.  :D
BTW - what ARE sock suspenders all about and do they go all the way up to the thigh?

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2007, 13:09:20 »
Beats me Emmy  :D 

I'd forgotten that was there!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal