Author Topic: Allotment Law  (Read 4019 times)

barbaramaureen

• Not So New ...
Allotment Law
« on: July 29, 2007, 22:04:24 »
Hi I'm new to this site but have had an allotment for just on a year. Can anyone confirm the law regarding sale of produce, it seems a bit confused.  Are we allowed to sell to raise funds or not? Thanks.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
Re: Allotment Law
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 22:29:52 »
HI BarbaraMaureen,  welcome to the boards :)  Where abouts in the country are you?

It would really depend on the rules of your allotment association or local council, whichever owns the site.

Ours doesn't allow the sale of anything grown on the plots, but others have posted threads about produce sales therefore that leads me to beleive that it's down to local agreements.

Have a word with whomever you originally talked to about getting a lottie.  If they don't know then I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

barbaramaureen

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 08:29:58 »
Hi Su

Thanks for trying to help.  I am in Milton Keynes but I was under the impression that it was a national law!!  I'll do a bit more investigation.

We are presently running two and a half plots, keep increasing our kingdom. Not doing too bad this year considering the weather except for potatoes, slugs got most of those. 

Barbaramaureen

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 09:09:54 »
Unless it has been recently altered.  The law as it stands at the moment is that people who rent allotments from a local authority or a private landlord must use the land to grow fruit and vegetables for  their's and their families consumption only
So tennants cannot grow produce for commercial sale ...
This I think goes back to the early   1900's ..I believe there is moves afoot to try to get this relaxed as in the cases of fundraising etc .
Cheers .. Jim

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 13:41:57 »
We actually own our own site so are not restricted.. several plots were run as "market Gardens" in the 30's..
 ::)

barbaramaureen

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 14:51:05 »
Thanks for the information.  Have been in contact with the Natinal Allotment Gardens Trust and they seem to think that it depends on your lease and your landlord.  I shall ask the question!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 00:00:41 »
They'd have to be really anal to refuse permission to sell to raise funds for the association (I assume that's what you're getting at) rather than for profit. If you can get their agreement in writing, you'll be bombproof.

stig

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 10:02:07 »
We were forced by the council to take out liability insurance!
Could we claim for flood damage?
im stig (thats short for stig in the mud)

barbaramaureen

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 08:52:49 »
I would assume no unless it covers storm damage which liability insurance usually doesn't.  Probably only covers the Council should someone fall over, etc. What a world we live in???   

barbaramaureen

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 17:40:55 »
Thks everyone.  Looks like the law has changed and  (as long as you are not making commercial gain) yu might be able to sell surplus produce to others for fundraising.  Seems it depends on your landlord.  (Ours is a Parish Council). They are looking into it!!!  Watch this space.  Barbara

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 18:23:09 »
I would assume no unless it covers storm damage which liability insurance usually doesn't.  Probably only covers the Council should someone fall over, etc. What a world we live in???   

Liability Insurance is to cover that which YOU are liable to other people for. I doubt whether you would be able to insure for damage to your property on an allotment. Security might be a problem.

The allotments in a village in which I used to live were used by a farmer to grow grass for hay at one time. He rented them from the Trust.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 18:25:50 by Larkshall »
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal