Author Topic: slugs versus me  (Read 2548 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: slugs versus me
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 10:09:31 »
Someone on here recommended cat litter (the gritty kind). I found it worked up to a point, so I have sprinkled the little blue pellets as well and the damage is minimal. Mind you, most things on my plot were started at home and transferred, and fitted with a slug collar ( plastic pop bottle sliced so you are left with a tube, a 2 ltr bottle makes two, then make a fringe round the top by snipping at intervals, bend out slightly and fit over plant when it is planted out.)Nothing worked for my sunflowers at home, though.Only 1 left :( All the ones I gave away are flourishing ::))
Smile, it confuses people.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 14:49:16 »
Snails have been nibbling away at my plants in the plastic greenhouse, so I cleared it out last night and found one slug and about 12 snails hiding away :o, so I've put all my empty pots and trays down the end of the garden, the slug was drowned ;D and the snails got volleyed over the fence and far away, ;D most of them were underneath my mini greenhouse barstards.  >:(    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 15:08:00 »
Any slugs or snails I find up at the lottie get promptly cut in half with the secateurs, or scissors. Might not beat them but it sure makes me feel better.

Eeeuuw! Snip them in half...erk. You are braver than me!! I just couldn't bear it!! Even to a slug.  ;D
I do like the salt water option. Now i slug pellet which i have said i wouldn't do for years but this year i have sunflowers! So nice to see what you sow grow into a plant!
Next year i am going to try nematodes. Done quite well this year. They chomped through the early stems of my diddy pumpkins and a few runner beans but everything seems to be ok. Like the idea of putting the pellets where they all hang out.
Yesterday when i was picking redcurrants i put my hand right on one. Bleurgh.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2007, 00:49:26 »
Planted parsley on plot from it's guttering beginings yesterday, only to catch a HUGE grandfather slug slithering his way over, drooling from his sluggy mouth the moment he thought my back was turned. He was airbourne at great speed. (Can't do the snippy thing either emmy. :o)

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2007, 11:45:44 »
Up late then Mags. :o     ;D ;D ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2007, 11:51:16 »
I head this story on bbc7 called slub bucket which i think you might find funny

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/listenagain/monday/

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2007, 13:40:57 »
Up late then Mags. :o     ;D ;D ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D thinking of ways to murder slugs Kev ;)

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2007, 20:06:37 »
Good girl, there are never too many ways to kill em barstards.  :P :P :P :o ;D ;D ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2007, 22:19:00 »
Kev, I hope you listened to Cam's link......it was very funny. Thanks Louise. ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal