Author Topic: Snake in garden ID please  (Read 11959 times)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: Snake in garden ID please
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2007, 16:41:40 »
i crossed an anaconda, a corn snake and a cobra and I got Anna Cornicobra. Result! Still cr@p at tennis tho

fossil hunter

• Not So New ...
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2007, 16:48:11 »
 ;D ;D ;D       NICE ONE.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2007, 16:58:36 »
here  we go again, when these 2 get together, you need a comfy chair, a bag of pocorn and a lot of spare time.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lin

• Half Acre
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2007, 00:17:06 »
All I am thinking is "poor snake", hope it survives and is found by someone who is worried about them... I used to have snake pets when I was a kid and my nieces had a couple of quite big ones recently.

They are lovely, warm, gentle animals... and this is one that should be found a nice warm home... it is welcome in my house in Manchester with the cats, dog, frogs, fish and eels!!

About 15 years ago my friend Mike woke up in his Salford home, went into the kitchen to make a cuppa and spotted a pink flamingo in his back garden in the overgrown weeds... took some time to convince the police it wasn't a practical joke... had a good ending the RSPCA came for it... it had flown away from somewhere and was quite unexcited by human beans!!
Lin

gruesome

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2007, 22:13:09 »
like it thrasher ;D if the snake is found we'll give it a home :) not our home you understand !!!!!
Insanity takes it's toll....................please have the correct change.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2007, 23:00:04 »
from a quick google I've done it looks like a Corn snake....  http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/images/steve_ready_shed_big.jpg

www.theconrsnake.co.uk

HTH
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2007, 23:01:32 »
sorry... second URL should be www.thecornsnake  Too much chardonnay tonight!!
SnooziSuzi

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2007, 23:02:15 »
3rd time lucky...  www.thecornsnake.co.uk
SnooziSuzi

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2007, 17:25:26 »
 :) thanks for your replies :P

latest up date:

my friend hasn't seen the snake again

RSPCA says cats are safe unless snake gets in the house :o
Local pet shop says catch snake in a bucket and then we will collect it from you ::)

because of the bad weather we think snake has gone somewhere warm  to hide,

no one has reported it missing / shades x
grow your own way

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2007, 18:44:51 »
When I saw it I thought corn snake....cos that's the only one I've seen close up - a week ago when I was on hol. It was somebody's pet but I didn't get to cuddle it cos it was near to shedding its skin...apparently they get a bit iffy about being handled at that time....sort of snakes PMS. I got given the last skin it shed, tho  8)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2007, 18:12:35 »
Hasn't it been found yet?

I've been sat on a VERY high stool with knee-high wellies on for about 3 weeks now!
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2007, 19:37:39 »
I handled a corn snake this afternoon - it was a friend's son's pet.  About 5 feet long, and about 10 years old, it was really beautifully marked - especially underneath.  Quite cool to touch, and it didn't slither, it was very muscular, and I could feel the muscle movement as it moved on my hands.  It tried to go up my sleeve, which I wasn't too keen on.  A very strange experience, I wouldn't do it with any snake ( :o :o :o) but when the owner is supervising and telling you how to handle it, it felt quite safe  :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

mark_h

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2007, 09:42:28 »
It doesn't look like a smooth snake (which are protected) which we have on our allotments.

Have I read your post right that you have Smooth snakes on your allotments? Is that in Winchester?

Cheers, Mark

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2007, 09:53:59 »
Snakes regularly want to go under your clothes; it's nice and warm and dark.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2007, 13:49:08 »
*** THUD ***
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2007, 23:35:06 »
Trixie have only just read the last page of this thread. Are you OK? There was also a "thud" in this house couple of minutes ago, I fell off my chair laughing at you (Sorry :))
Lorna.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2007, 11:17:59 »
I like all your posts "just catch it" !!! Coming from Australia, I can say that this would not be my first piece of advice!!! A swe have all sorts of slithery nasty things, you are told to keep well away and call the Parks and Wildlife service.
The snake is likely to hide under things, rocks, in grass - could it have gone into the compost or under a wheelie bin etc? It may have been abandoned, poor thing.
Pythons are generally non agressive, as they are constrictors but I would be cautious as it may be scared. If you are tempted to catch it, make it in the early morning when it will be groggy from the cold. Or if you spot it curled up you can put something over it (bucket etc) till help comes.
Otherwise I guess you have all seen how to catch a snake? You'll need a hessian bag or similar. hold down its neck just behind its head with something gentle like a broom or something curvy like a garden fork (don't stab him!) then grab the snake by the neck. Put the head into the bag, then still holding on, take your other hand on the outside of the bag and replace the one holding him. Then you have his head securely in the bag and both hands outside it!!! You then just have to put the rest of the body in the bag, tie it up and you can then let go of poor snakey. Yeah you do get to know all kinds of strange things when you are an Aussie! (like looking under the toilet seat before you sit on it)... But personally i wouldn't really feel up to the task...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2007, 11:46:17 »
Clearing the couch grass from my new lottie; out slithered what I thought was a snake. Unfortunately for everyone close by, I must have burst their ear drums. I screamed so loud I scared the entire Shaldon bird population too. I had never seen a slow worm before and all I saw was the body/tail part. About half an hour later (after calming down slightly), d**n I saw two together. This time I managed not to scream quite so loud.
Thank goodness I have finished getting rid of the long grass.

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

alienwithaview

• Quarter Acre
  • Lou the cat and young thrush, now happily grown up
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2007, 13:04:14 »
Back in March, we had a snake very similar to this one in our garden in Brighton(he didn't pose that professionally, though). It was quite happy for about a month under and around the patio, and then vanished (possibly for mating).
We couldn't get an expert's opinion on it, (they insisted on photographic evidence, but it was too dark under the bushes to get a good picture of the snake) but after scouring the web we decided our guest was a Smooth Snake (Coronella austriaca)
We moved since and here my faithful gardening companions are the toads, who are really curious (the cat hasn't spotted them yet -he tends to play quite rough with them)
There is a seriously good picture gallery of reptiles and amphibians found in Britain: www.herpetofauna.co.uk   Very helpful to identify this type of wildlife.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2007, 19:51:48 »
Catching snakes? I used to grab them and pick them up. Holding them down with sticks etc can result in broken bones, as the skeletons are fragile.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal