Author Topic: carrot fly and fleece  (Read 2781 times)

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
carrot fly and fleece
« on: June 21, 2007, 12:29:35 »
I have been growing my carrots under fleece to keep the carrot fly away, and they are now about 6 inches tall and I'm very proud of them!

The fleece is getting a bit tatty and I'm wondering whether to replace it, but have read somewhere that carrot fly stop being active after a certain point in the summer.

Is this true?
If so when does the flyless point start?
Are my carrots safe??

PS I'm growing a Nantes one and also Flyaway which is supposed to be resistant, but is it?

Any advice very welcome, thanks xx

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: carrot fly and fleece
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 12:56:54 »
there's a good factsheet here about carrot fly

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/factsheets/pc17.php

they say that to avoid carrot fly sow middle-Feb to middle April, and start of June to middle July

personally i'd stick with the fleece, or build a barrier round them

electric landlady

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 16:21:42 »
Thanks, that's very helpful!

Reddish head, orange legs? I've not seen anything like that flying about but perhaps they're hiding ;)

I'll pop the fleece back on before July to be on the safe side.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 22:10:00 »
just twigged your name Electric Landlady - that's very funny btw. Are you Experienced?

why not avoid the whole prob with carrot fly, and grow them in tubs (on top of something high).

electric landlady

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 13:13:23 »
Oh yes RT - just not at growing carrots unfortunately  ;)

(Actually I must give credit to the late great Kirsty MacColl for the nom de plume, although I do like a bit of Jimi)

May try growing them higher in future but wouldn't they have to be at least 75cm off the ground?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 13:15:26 by electric landlady »

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 18:29:25 »
actually all our carrots in pots are at home, so our 6ft fence rond the garden keeps them at bay touch wood. The unprotected carrots at the allotment, sown in March and being used now are unaffected, tho last year's were got at. I do worry that once you start pulling them up, the pesky flies (literally) get wind of them, and then try to do their stuff

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 01:01:28 »
Don`t rely on the two egg laying periods.  That was discounted years ago in favour of three.  I know from long personal experience that if I leave the protection off my carrots for any two week period in the summer the carrot fly will get them.  If you are in a comparatively carrot fly free area, then by all means rely on barriers or ridging, but if you are in a bad carrot fly area then use fleece from sowing until September.  If you grow maincrop and want to leave them in the ground soak the bed with coffee at drinking strength in late September to keep the slugs away from them.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 12:36:45 »
yes the factsheet link mentions 3 egg laying periods, also that when they are can be very variable, dependent on the season's weather

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 14:42:30 »
So given this year's weather, they could be any time! >:(

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 22:51:26 »
Given that nearly everything in the garden is ten days early, the blackbirds have already hatched a second brood and my runners are starting to flower, it`s quite likely that the b*ggers are here already.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal