Author Topic: A few spud questions.....  (Read 1035 times)

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
A few spud questions.....
« on: July 02, 2007, 18:37:17 »
So far my first year of growing potatoes has been really good.

The Rocket potatoes were excellent in 9" black buckets and we harvested a truck load!

But i have a few questions about my plot ones. BTW they are Estima.

- I harvested a few on the plot and stored them in the garage in a Hessian sack but some of them have gone green.  I understood that this was due to sunlight and we do have a window in the garage. The sack was hanging up near it.  Could that still have caused them to go green?  I have now double sacked them and put inside a cupboard.

- Do all potatoes grow large?  I wondered cause the Estima on the plot are second earlies.  Does this mean they are mainly new potatoes as I was going to leave them in till August.

Thanks for your help.     :D ;)

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

Kepouros

• Hectare
Re: A few spud questions.....
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 23:32:29 »
Most of the Second Earlies, including Estima, will keep as well as the maincrop - my Nadine usually last until well into April, and you will often see Estima on sale in Tesco at that time.

However, as with maincrop potatoes, they will only keep properly if the skins are allowed to `set` before they are lifted.  This normally takes place during the time the haulm is slowly dying off, and they are `set` once the haulm has died off completely.  If you wish to lift them for storage before they die back you need to cut off the haulm and then leave the spuds in the ground for a full two weeks to allow the skins to set.

Even in hessian sacks potatoes need the darkest place you can find to ensure that they do not go green - minor green patches can usually be cut away when you peel them, but if a potato is badly affected you should discard it, there`s no way that it will turn white again.

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
Re: A few spud questions.....
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 08:35:07 »
Thanks for the help, I'll leave the spuds till the haulm dies off.   

Cheers

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal