Author Topic: Our lotties are shot this year I think.I am so sad now  (Read 9690 times)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Re: Our lotties are shot this year I think.I am so sad now
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2007, 09:36:43 »
Hi Jeannine and all. Been thinking of you all over past few days, can't believe the level of flooding - just unreal. So gutted to hear so many of you have lost all your lottie. Just heartbreaking. All those houses flooded though and 4 dead - horrendous. So worried about all of you and my northern family. My uncle is in Yorkshire - Richmond but I think it's ok there. Yesterday my grandparents had to drive back to Blackpool but made it unscathed. My sisters are in the midlands but Brum ok.
Jeannine, I have a 'really big' and a 'bob bon' in pots in the mini/g/h waiting for a lottie space. shall i pop them into plastic bottles for you? Let me know!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2007, 10:04:42 »
Thank you Emmy, I have tons of plants waiting to go in the empty lottie, it was all ready to be planted the day the rains started. I have 81 squash plants in pots here and no place to put them, plus trays of winter veggies who are fast outgrowing their pots.. It is highly unlikey we will get any in, actually I would happily give them away now but everybody round me is in the same boat and there are far too many to post . XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2007, 14:59:25 »
I'll bet your knitting for the new babe is coming on, jeannine..hope the weather has been a bit kinder today..our thoughts are with all the people who's houses are flooded  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2007, 15:11:06 »
Well it is brilliant sunshine in Hull today..OOoohhhhhhhhhhh. Fingers crossed.

Is everyone else OK

OOPS. just read the forecast, rain for the next 7 days!!

Jeannine

What about sandbagging your greenhouse???

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2007, 15:17:09 »
Sorry to hear you plight Jeannine (and others)! my thoughts and prayers are with you all - I was horrified when watching the telly news last night with the pictures they were showing.  Glad you managed to save the tomato plants - I had a mental picuture of you wading around with your skirt hitched into your wellies!!   ;D  You go girlfriend - don't let that rude guy get you down.  We have just had lots of rain but thank goodness no flooding - yet!  I went down to the lottie after work yesterday and managed to get some of my red onions lifted as I was scared they would rot - the forecast for the week-end is wet! 

The weather is really up the spout.  We were awoken at 6:30 this morning with a call from Johannesburg, South Africa to say they woke up to a blanket of snow - it last snowed there in September 1981!  This climate warming is really getting scary.

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2007, 15:19:37 »
It is the level of the ground, sandbagging wouldn't help because the water would just come up through the soil anyway, everything floods even the road.

It has dropped at the moment so the raised beds are OK again, the greenhouses are still flooded but onle a couple of inches now and everthing in pots is sitting on tip of a growbag, the water level is halfway up the bag, so the pot itself is out of the water now.

We are working on a couple of options.

Thank you Cam, you are always so supportive XX Jeannine

Hey Jitters, no wellies, I went in  with my flatties on,
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2007, 17:10:25 »
Sorry to hear this is happening to some of you, but sorry Jeannine I had to laugh at you with the toms wet knicks and all, poking your tongue out at old mister sexist racist fuddy duddy just lend me him for one day and he would be buried up to his neck, face smeared in honey and letting the wasps and ants do their worst. But the last word has to go to all them poor family's suffering and having lost somebody in these disasters. :(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2007, 17:15:52 »
He  was looking at one of the houses being pumped out and said something very unkind about the woman who lived there as she had a son who was a bit of a lad in the area.  I thought for a minute  he had gone too far as the few people watching turned around and glared at him. I don't care how awful her sone is she certainly doesn't"deserve it ". XX Jeannine

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2007, 17:30:22 »
Prat ! >:(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

broad beannie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2007, 17:43:53 »
So sorry to hear about all that is going on up country. I live in south west Devon and even though we have had rain, luckily no flooding as yet. This is my first year of growing anything and i know how much effort it takes now so i feel for you all xx xx

Keep the faith !!!!

Love Tracey
Live for today

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2007, 18:01:02 »
Jeannine-would you believe I have only just noticed this thread-sweetheart my best wishes go out to you and John. But I also have a gallows sense of humour-is this the excuse you use for not growing a decent okra crop?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2007, 18:37:15 »
Ha Ha, Cleo my lovely, not so fast, the Okra just happened to be on a bench  as I had moved them on Sunday when we were sorting out some other stuff,then when the rains came down  and we took off quick I forgot to lift them down again, so tough cookie, by sheer accident they are so far still thriving .

I don't mind your gallows humour , if I can't laugh  right now I am doomed and I think it is hilarious.

We just  might end up with nothing but Okra  XXXXX Jeannine

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2007, 21:25:33 »
ray reckons Ming the merciless is controlling the weather  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2007, 00:04:20 »
Hey, we have the whole original film series of Flash Gordon from the 30s all in 15 minute episodes, good iisn't it XX Jeannine

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2007, 00:07:53 »
Now that's a blast from the past! Do you know I sulked for a whole week of my holidays one year because we were away on holiday and I was missing my weekly shot of Flash Gordon.

Mmm wonder if you can get it on DVD... 8)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2007, 15:36:50 »
Anne, I bought the whole set for John one birthday, one of these days I need to ,ove it to DVD,it is so old I think it is allowed,if I ever do I will send you a copy.There is no copyright on it.

There are 4 videos, each one has 13-16  18minute chapters,about 4 hours total.

1. Spaceship To The Unknown
2.  The Deadly Ray From Mars
3.  The Peril From Planet Mango
4. The Purple Death From Outer Space

The description of Deadly Ray is:Mysterious floods, heatwaves,quakes and hurricanes are causing destruction on Planet Earth, Flash discovers Ming the Merciless has a lamp which is extracting all the nitron in the Earths atmosphere,Flash is off to destroy the lamp.   Sound familiar

FLASH GET THE RUDDY LAMP

XX Jeannine

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2007, 15:45:42 »
Amazon have it  :) :) But it's region 1. We've just replaced our broken DVD player but  I'm not sure if it's multi-region. I'll check with my geeks when they get home.

Yes at trying times like these a Flash Gordon would come in handy. He'd have my neglected plots shipshape in no time flat and suck the water from Yorkshire to Chad.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2007, 17:26:10 »
Just read through this thread....missed it as I have only been popping in and out briefly for a while. I am so sorry for all you folks who have been affected by this gruesome weather. Jeannine I don't know how you stay so positive. These are strange times indeed, weatherwise.
Lets hope for a better July,Aug,Sept,Oct. ;)
Smile, it confuses people.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2007, 22:26:44 »
Anne, make sure Amazons one is the Buster Crabbe one, there are 3 others.

Emaggie, I am positive by nature but right now it is easy enough when you look at what folks have lost, a lottie is pretty low on the totem pole.

I did cry buckets when we got into the school though, absolutely everything has gone,books, toys, computers, desks chairs, all the kids work,  there is nothing left, the buildings are being emptied on Monday,everthing dumped. We are apparently the hardest hit pirimary school and won't be open before September.That was very hard to take.
XX Jeannine

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2007, 22:46:38 »
That's terrible, Jeannine- all that work you & the other staff have put in destroyed. :( I suppose from the kids' and parents' point of view it's a good time of year for it to happen, but I guess the staff will have to give up some of their hard-earned break to help get the school and themselves ready for September.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal