Author Topic: Newbie here - freaking out already!  (Read 1596 times)

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
Newbie here - freaking out already!
« on: June 28, 2007, 21:33:39 »
Well I've just spoken to the lady in charge of the allotments and told her which plot we'd like.  The agreement will be posted to us tomorrow hopefully but we have the go ahead to start now - just in time for a lovely rainy weekend!  ::)

The plot is BIG, quite a few onsite are only half used and the lady was offering us the corner bit next to ours too - as long as we clear it!  It's about 4 foot high in blackberry, brambles and stinging nettles.   We'll leave it for now (we want the blackberries in the summer!) but may move into that once we get ourselves established.  At the moment I am worrying about what the heck to plant first....   *eek*

This means I can move my raspberry canes from my flower bed into my veggie plot as I won't need to plant veggies there anymore.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Newbie here - freaking out already!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 21:50:00 »
congrats, smileyk...little and often, and have a wonderful time..still time to plant lots, we seem to forget it's only the end of june..also, garden centres and nurseries may still have some plants left, and there may be some nice allotment neighbours with extra plants for you, if you can clear a bit here and there  :)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 21:52:43 »
Welcome to the madhouse, Smiley.  Hope you get some fine weather for your clearing  :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 22:10:20 »
Hi Smileyk

Welcome, where are you??

Cambourne7

Deva Duke

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 22:15:12 »
Hi smileyk and welcome, hope your plot is not under to much water at the moment. Don't forget to take before and after pics. Good luck dd.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 22:16:46 »
Hiya and welcome. Don't freak out, plant lots of lovely quick growing salady stuff, buy some tom plants from your local grocer, mie has runner beans too, and peppers. Enjoy the blackberries. Yum yum.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 22:52:00 »
Welcome smileyk. You will enjoy A4A, lots of nice people who will give lots of advice if you need it (Got  one or two cranky members as well but they are quite harmless ;D) I haven't got an allotment but seasoned members will tell you to take things slowly, should be an enjoyment not a worry. Good luck.
Lorna.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 23:35:54 »
You telling tales about me again Lorna...
 ;D
Welcome to A4A have fun...
 8)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 07:04:22 »
Don't panic Dr Mainwering !

Still your nettles in a water butt and flame throw the rest.

Become good friends with your neighbours (for advice) and the local carpet wholesaler (for covering everything in site) and take it EASY !

Wish I'd have followed my own advice ........ my back really gives me gip every morning.

and welcome.

;D

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 07:23:04 »
Think of the positives - all you need is wellies, gloves and a fork. In this soft ground weeds should be easy to remove!

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 09:45:58 »
Hi,

Feeling a little less stressed about this today - though I did dream about allotments all night last night!!   ::)

I'm near Caldicot in Monmouthshire and although we've had rain, we haven't had flooding (thankfully) so the allotment is fine.

We already have a greenhouse and small veggie plot in our garden so we have sweetcorn, rhubarb, cucumber, tomatoes, rocket, peas, pumpkin and beans growing. Oh and a potato plant that decided to grow all by itself :D

We also have raspberry canes and a thornless blackberry too.

Plan to move one of our rhubarbs down to the allotment and then keep the rest of the fruit in the plot in the garden. The allotment is quite open at the moment (no fence!) and I'm worried about the kids getting in there and pinching the fruit.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 17:36:41 »
Only one or two Lorna and the rest, half of em only get let out the weekend :P :P, welcome to the crazy world of allotmenteering Smileyk and good luck.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 19:47:30 »
corneykev, fun here ain't it ;D

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 21:10:58 »
Just think smileyk of all the glorious summer days to come. ( ;) hope my tongue was firmly in cheek there! British summers and all that!)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal