Author Topic: Another New Allotment Tenant  (Read 2478 times)

Jon_Scun

• Not So New ...
Another New Allotment Tenant
« on: June 22, 2007, 15:15:59 »
I have today been granted my very own allotment. I've been to see it, and it is one large patch of weeds (looks likes thistles, grasses, and other things i can't name!)

Help!

Is it a huge mistake to leap straight in with a rotovator? I am sorely tempted...

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Another New Allotment Tenant
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 15:25:59 »
Jon - Welcome to the world of allotmenteering and this made forum!

If you have thistles I expect you have other permanent weeds like dandelions etc.  If you rotovate these you'll cut up the roots, and they will form lots more of the same.  They breed like rabbits.

You could leap in with a strimmer, if you can get hold of one, which will clear the tops off all the weeds, and you'll need to clear any rubbish that's on the site.

If you can lay your hands on some black plastic, cover as much as possible, and start weeding and clearing one section of the lottie.

DON'T try to do too much at once, it's hard work.  Take frequent breaks and make friends with your neighbours, they'll be full of advice and may give you plants and seeds etc.  And keep browsing the threads on this forum - all the info you need is here already, and if you can't find the answer you want - just ask!

Good luck!  :) :) :) :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 15:31:38 »

If you have thistles I expect you have other permanent weeds like dandelions etc.  If you rotovate these you'll cut up the roots, and they will form lots more of the same.  They breed like rabbits.

Hi Jon. Can't agree more with asbean. I am great advocate of taking it slow. The plot is a long term thing, it doesn't have to be perfect from the word go. I inherited a very overgrown plot but it's little and often and you'll be amazed how quickly you can clear it. Don't compost your perennial weeds like bindweed and thistles, they will just live on in the heap. I have made huge heap of couch grass, thistles etc which I will probably burn in September when fires are allowed again.
A strimmer is great because it achieves part of what you want and it looks instantly more managable. Also can't recommend covering up enough. We've just pulled up the cardboard and weed suppressant (both for super killing power) at the front of the plot and the weeds are dead, dead, dead. Ha.
Good luck!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 15:46:59 »
at the front of the plot and the weeds are dead, dead, dead. Ha.

Want a bet !!  ;D

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 15:54:22 »
at the front of the plot and the weeds are dead, dead, dead. Ha.

Want a bet !!  ;D

Ha! For now at least Tee Gee! Now shush, I was enjoying my moment of weedlessness.  ;D ;D

Jon_Scun

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 16:06:39 »
Roundup it is then...

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 17:06:50 »
No to rotorvate, no to roundup, strim, clear dig and cover and welcome to the madhouse Jon.  :P :P ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Jenfur

• Quarter Acre
  • Eaton Bray, Beds
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 17:10:16 »
Just to be difficult, we rotorvated. There is now a never ending supply of thistle and bindweed though. I think doing it slowly would be better especially as you have the whole summer to spend.

tadpole

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 17:40:56 »
If it's any comfort, I would think the weeds can't get much worse than they are at the moment after all this rain AND sun! And it's much easier to get them out when you haven't got things growing yet!

iain

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 23:42:20 »
Hi Jon, welcome to the best forum around and the maddest, you will get loads of great advice from the peeps on here   :D.
We hope to see some pics soon.
As the others have said take it easy

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 20:05:20 »
hiya, jon.strim it, make a plan, mark the paths, cover them and mark your beds..as you clear, cover or plant something..that way, you don't compact the ground..also, don't panic, it doesn't have to be done all at once  ;D

Chubby George

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 20:25:41 »
My allotment looks quite neat with black plastic covering half of it :D

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 20:43:59 »
don't rotivate - you'll really regret it next season.  Only answer is to dig, dig, dig ...

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 22:23:09 »
No to rotorvate, no to roundup, strim, clear dig and cover and welcome to the madhouse Jon.  :P :P ;D ;D ;D

Yep, me too Kev.  ;D ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 23:37:41 »
Welcome aboard Jon. I'm a digger too...
 ;D

Jon_Scun

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 12:00:17 »
The Plan:
Thanks for all of your help so far, here is the plan... One half of the allotment to be sprayed with roundup (i know its a swear word!), with field beans planted on that half until next year.

Other half, roundup (no swearing at me) make beds, cover paths in plastic etc...

Any ideas on cheap sources of plastic for ground cover?
Thanks

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 17:26:09 »
No swearing Jon ##**# ;D  just makes me cringe to think you will be planting where pestersides have been, read whats on the bottle and imagine digging and eating your veggies where the poison has been, well thats my choice, and your choice Jon is your own.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 17:31:19 »
I was going to use roundup until I read the label on the back.
it's really not good for aquatic things and as my allotment is next to a marshy wood where the water level rises to make ponds when the rain's been heavy, and I've seen moorhens and babies paddling about, I decided against.
didn't like the idea of it all washing out of my plot and into the local water course...

I'm a digger, too!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal