Author Topic: starting out  (Read 1417 times)

gerrybhoy

• Not So New ...
starting out
« on: June 12, 2007, 13:12:28 »
Hi folks, I have finally got myself a plot... well it is a very overgrown mess at the moment.
First picture is one I took on the first day, thinking ohhh my god, what have i done.

This second pic is after i have attacked it with a power strimmer to get some of the weeds down.

I have got it down a fair bit now and cleaned up a bit (even with other people dumping their plot waste on it!). However it is getting a bit too much for my foks and spade. My spade is now bent and getting floppy!

My question is, even with some of the grass/weeds etc still in the ground, would it be ok to just blast it with a rotovator type thing? I just want it up and running as quickly as i can, and don't want to put myself off it before i start for real. It just seems like all i've been doing is clearing ground for days..

Thanks for any advice.
Gerry
check out the progress of my new plot at http://gerrysallotment.blogspot.com/

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Re: starting out
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 13:20:46 »
Hi Gerry

I can't see your pics but i think it's my computer being evil. Welcome to the best lottie site.  ;D
As I can't see your pics it's hard to give my opinion but really, it's your plot and if you feel like a rotavate will help you get stuck in then go for it. The nice thing about veg growing is that aside from following the patterns & rhthyms nature has put in place already, the rest is up to you.
Do a search for threads on rotavating for more in depth and heated discussions!!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Buzz

• Not So New ...
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 13:34:19 »
Don't rotavate if you have perennial weeds like Bindweed - it will re-grow from every splinter of root so you'll end up with several times more of the dreaded stuff than you started with.

Dig, dig and then dig again, pulling out all the roots of perennial weeds as you go. Just clear a small patch to start with and plant something to keep you interested whilst you get to grips with clearing the rest. Hard work but worth it in the end.

redrichwen

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 13:38:07 »
HI

I think the general consensus will be no no to rotovators, but i confess, having gotten my plot a month ago, by the second weekend we hired a rotovator.

It was virtually impossible to get anything into the ground it was so matted with roots, and it did take a large one, 9hp was the size.
We're really pleased with the results and do think it was the right decision for our circumstances. We're in a rush to do as much as we can, cos i'm having a baby v.soon, and its down to DH to do all the digging at the moment.

Also the weekend we did it was very hot, so all the chopped vegetation just seemed to dry out immediately as it was chopped and turned, but i am aware that living roots will still be lurking around under the surface. So if you can, pick a hot day to do it.

You will need to rake, rake and rake again afterwards to stop roots re-establishing and to get as many out as possible, but with the ground broken up it should give you a head start.

Also do cover up the unused areas straightaway. We've found that the areas that we covered with carpet have nothing coming up as yet.

The areas that were rotovated, but are still awaiting their cover also has nothing bar a couple of thistles, which we dig up as soon as we see.

Then the other areas that we have started planting into, after forking and raking like crazy to remove as many roots as we can, have very weeny weeds coming up which i'm just hacking off with a hoe.

Do what you feel is best after weighing up all the odds. To us, we know what the risks were in spreading the roots, but feel the result was worth it. Its a lot easier now to pull up all the  rogue roots that re-establish.

One other tip, if you're going to be sowing seeds, do mark the row with a length of string, etc. That way, as weeds do pop back up it's easier to see where to hoe, rather than risk beheading all your precious new seedlings.

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 23:34:41 »
I can't say whether or not to rotavate but do mark anything out with string as Red suggested, worst case and you have to let plants grow on a little you can clearly see what is a weed and what you planted by the area they are growing in. Trust me this will save you pulling up new seedlings (cough, splutter!)

Esre
Whatever it was I didn't do it but if I should have done then I have!

Plot 24A
My Blog

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 09:37:51 »
I couldn't agree more. Cover any areas that you are not planting - use tarps or cardboard weighed down well. I did this and after a month or so everything will have died back.
Mark VERY clearly where you sow any seed, and I recommend leaving a good space between rows because I did not always leave enough and now it can be hard to hoe.
At this time of year you will see bindweed if you have it - it is a long slim vine type with long heart shaped leaves (and if you are really unlucky) pretty flower trumpets of white or pink. It is virtually indestructible, you just have to keep hoeing or ripping it out. If you do rotovate, its roots are long and white so try to pull out as much as you can.
If you hire a rotovator you will have to do the whole plot at once - keep that in mind  ;)
I have been doing mine for 6 months and I have managed to clear and plant 100m2 all by hand digging, no chemicals. So it is possible. Good luck!  :D
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 13:45:34 »
congrats, gerry..hope you get lots and lots of good veggies from your plot  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 19:38:58 »
Welcome Gerrybhoy... hope you get your plot under control soon, watch that wall looks like slug and snail haven...
 ;D

gerrybhoy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 18:25:18 »
guys, thank you so much for all your advice and words of encouragement.

will keep my story updated at http://gerrysallotment.blogspot.com/ ...if anyone is interested.
I'd hate to think I was chatting just to myself!

Cheers
check out the progress of my new plot at http://gerrysallotment.blogspot.com/

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 19:31:11 »
nice blog Gerry. Don't know how all you bloggers do it. I've been trying to set up my myspace for about a year now and never find the time!

What's with the extra wide board anyhoo?
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 19:53:57 »
What's with the extra wide board anyhoo?

Extra large pictures. Board expands to the width of the largest picture.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 20:17:35 »
Gel is it a council run site, if so they get them to clear it, and put up a sign " for the persons who dumped their rubbish would they please come and collect it as they are homesick".  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal