Author Topic: Wasps nesting under house  (Read 2785 times)

Mark /\

• Not So New ...
Wasps nesting under house
« on: June 20, 2007, 21:30:02 »
I noticed about a week ago wasps going in and out of the little air vents at the base of the house next to our patio. They have so far not been a problem. I just don't like the idea of them nesting next to my patio which I sit on to look at the fish in my pond.

What is the best way to get rid of them because my cat has noticed them now and keeps trying to catch them. Thanks for any help.

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
Re: Wasps nesting under house
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 21:49:24 »
Contact your local council.

I'm sure they will have a department to deal with the problem, and should come round to destroy any nest for you.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 15:45:15 »
Well, the good news is that once the nest inhabitants have died, ie Autumn, it will not be used again.

Most councils charge for the destruction of wasps' nests.  Our's charges something like £50, on top of the extortionate council tax!!

If its not too invasive Mark, I would leave it alone.  Once it has outlived its usefulness it will be abandoned.

valmarg

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 15:55:34 »
They're not going to take any notice of you until the queens leave in September. Up til then they're too busy catching aphids etc to feed the larva - they're doing a lot of good actually so try and let them get on with it for as long as you can. The cat obviously is going out of its way to get stung though.
You can buy a can of aerosol foam wasp killer, i got one from Homebase, you wait til they're all back in the nest after dusk and then zap them.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 16:16:42 »
They're not going to take any notice of you until the queens leave in September. Up til then they're too busy catching aphids etc to feed the larva - they're doing a lot of good actually so try and let them get on with it for as long as you can. The cat obviously is going out of its way to get stung though.
You can buy a can of aerosol foam wasp killer, i got one from Homebase, you wait til they're all back in the nest after dusk and then zap them.

Yup, it's worked for me... make sure the wind is blowing from your pond though or your fish'll be doing back-stroke!

Mark /\

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 21:52:27 »
thanks for the replies. I think I will leave them for the moment weve had no bother from them
yet. I just didnt like the idea of them under the house

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 21:55:57 »
If the council finds two nests they'll charge you double  :( :( :(
The Tuscan Beaneater

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 00:26:42 »
If the council finds two nests they'll charge you double  :( :( :(

Is that true? Genius!!! What do they do if there's a load of solitary wasps? It could end up costing a fortune!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal