Author Topic: Sweet pepper advice wanted please  (Read 931 times)

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Sweet pepper advice wanted please
« on: June 20, 2007, 11:47:38 »
somebody has just given me some sweet pepper plants but I've never grown them before..........want to put 2 or 3 on my small patio area (along with all the other things) but it doesn't get much sun altho part of it does as the weeks go by........

I know they need the sun so will place them in the sunniest place but my problem is......I've nearly run of out of pots! ::)

will it be ok to put 2 plants in a pot measuring 10" diameter by 10" high (sorry I still work in inches for this sort of thing) also, how tall do they grow, will I have to stake them? presume they need feeding in the same way the tomatoes & courgettes do :-\

have got a slightly taller pot 14" high x 11" but it seems to me that such a lot of compost is needed to fill it!

would welcome some advice please - HP

Stevens706

• Acre
Re: Sweet pepper advice wanted please
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 13:59:26 »
Last year I grew mine on the patio in about 8 inch pots (1 per pot), they grew to about 2 foot, I staked them just to prevent damage by the wind. Feeding was as for Toms once a week with tomatorite.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 16:18:21 »
The bigger pot, HP, would not be overdoing it for one plant.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 16:38:15 »
I think I would sacrifice a plant and go for quality rather than quantity.

Its feasible that by putting only one plant per you would get a bigger (heavier) crop than from two plants in one pot, i.e. the crop with two could result in more SMALL fruit.

Regarding filling it; I tend to use second hand or home made compost or farm yard manure in the bottom half of large pots and only fill the top with new compost.

Another point is; depending upon variety plants can grow from 18" to 36" high therefore there could be a tendency for them to get blown over.

The decision is yours!!

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 17:15:22 »
I know this is your topic Hot-Potato but I was in the same predicament, I am a "new girl on the block" and have not quite got used to the font of knowledge out there - isn't it fabulous! will I ever get any house work done ;D ;D

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 20:28:34 »
One plant in  a ten inch pot is about the minimum I think. It goes take a bit of compost but Tee Gee has the answer-half fill with compost from the bin and then top up with JI No3-that way you should be able to fill about 5 pots for the price of one bag.

And stake them.

And for any newish pepper growers don`t just grow the standard sweet peppers-try as well `Boldog Hungarian Spice`-available from Simpson`s Seeds to name one-the ripe fruit can be dried and ground to give paprika powder like you have never tasted

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 20:39:43 »
Oh no!!!     seem to have lost my message - think it was my fault - after I pressed post - got a message come up that said someone else had posted but I thought mine had gone already - obviously it hadn't >:(

wrote rather a lot but will cut this short - thanks everyone for help and advice - 'fraid I got carried away and have put 2 in a pot (maybe I should take one out) but don't really want to disturb them now - will be grateful even for smaller fruits ;)

Forgot to say that the variety is 'California Wonder' - can see the sense of staking them

Slightly off topic but before the storms came our way yesterday (Berkshire, scarey but not as bad as other parts) I staked my 'tumbling tomatoes' coz I didn't want to risk their stems getting broken or battered - so glad I did.

Also a bit off topic but must just say hi to Susiebell - glad you're enjoying this fab group - I've been a member for a couple of years now but don't always contribute a lot in the way of messages but read a lot of them :) ......know what you mean about wondering if you'll ever get other things done- I belong to another small group (several years now, not gardening) and we've all become such good friends and I spend a lot of my time in there.

Thanks again - H.P.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal