Author Topic: I know potato's like water ... but...  (Read 2129 times)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
I know potato's like water ... but...
« on: June 24, 2007, 13:45:55 »
will they rot in this constant wet????  I've lifted all but 2 rows of my first earlies and 2nds arent ready yet... worried they will just rot in the ground

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: I know potato's like water ... but...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 13:58:38 »
well I have lost all my earlies ... (they drowned under 3ft of water, which took about 3 days to subside, and the ground remained waterlogged for another week.

The maincrop are also beginning to look a bit dodgy, still, nothing can be done now, and horrendous rain is forecast for tomorrow too.

I have all but given up on my allotment this year, having lost about 2/3rds of my crops. It will make me appreciate what I do get though, the carrots seem ok, and I am hoping the climbing beans don't succumb. The leeks seem happy too.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 21:10:16 »
Hi OO, i'm was a bit worried about our potatoes, and the onions as well, what with the rain we've already had, and still more to come overnight tonight :o  but nothing we can do now until it stops  ::)

I've got everything crossed that we don't lose everything in our first year  :-\
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 13:10:51 »
Reading about all the problems you are having i'm glad i'm in the London area as we have had alot of rain but my crops have been doing well with it and the weeds of course. I feel for you Curry having lost your potatoes I only hope you can maybe get some going for Christmas dinner.

Before we had all this rain I made the decision to pull up all my garlic and onions which i'm glad I did. They are really big but just as nice to eat as I grew it.

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 13:58:49 »
I've lost all my pink fir apple to blight !!  A bit early I thought, but googled to double check and it was deffo blight.

I'd harvested most of the earlies - harlequin and home guard but did lose a few.

The broad beans have been devastated by black fly, and the runners have been blown out of the ground with the gale force wind we had yesterday.

What a year !!   

Alison

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 14:59:04 »
i took a peek at the pink firs the other day and they are all of about an inch big... they are on the dryer side of the plot so fingers crossed.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 16:55:24 »
After seeing the papers today I can't believe the floods in other parts of the country, its hard to comprend yes we've had rain and winds but i've still been watering the lottie because when the sun comes out and with the wind factor it dries out quickly, I'm in two minds whether to dig my earlies up in case of flooding. ??? ??? :-\ :-\ ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 17:06:43 »
yo kev.......................guess what!.....................im flooded again....but this time its much worse!
the houses up the road from me were evacuated at 5.30 this morning

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 17:09:19 »
the houses up the road from me were evacuated at 5.30 this morning

Our best friends were evacuated this morning too they are sitting in the path of that dam in South Yorkshire that is about to burst!!

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 17:43:53 »
yeah...................theve even closed the m1 to prevent damage if the dam goes.............but they are pumping water from the resovoir and the situation is critical...but stable.
got freinds out that way myself but cant get in touch.........

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 21:50:22 »
Just you be careful MM, no water ski ing.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal