Author Topic: Potato Questions  (Read 885 times)

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
Potato Questions
« on: June 18, 2007, 11:41:47 »
Hello

I was clearing my lean-to out over the weekend and threw some junk away, In the junk was the growing instructions for my potato's  :( . What i need to know is how long before they are ready as my potato's where planted on the 28th of April and are growing mad some are even getting there flower buds on. The variety's that i am growing are 1) International Kidney 2nd earlies and 2) Sarpo Mira Maincrop also Cara that Jitterbug gave me they where planted mid may.

I am desperate for potato's i grew some last year and was too tempted and didn't get much, So i am trying to follow the rules.  ::)

Cheers
Brogusblue.

Ps i forgot to say mine are in are car tyres and trugs
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 11:46:05 by Brogusblue »
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Potato Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 11:54:16 »
I wouldn't have thought the 2nd earlies would be ready yet, they've only been in for six weeks.  In 2003 we planted Int'l Kidney in week 13 and dug up a plant in week 24 and that was too early.  The MC need much longer, we planted our Sarpos in week 19, and I didn't make a note of when we dug them up - it was very late summer, I remember.

If you nip off the flowers apparently you get 10% more crop, don't know if this is true, but we do it anyway.
The Tuscan Beaneater

BarbaraGood

• Half Acre
  • 250 square metres of heaven
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 13:16:18 »
I had Int Kidneys and planted them out on 7 April. We dug up some yesterday as they hadn't flowered but I was DESPERATE for a rummage and had a REALLY good crop from 1.5 plants that we dug around :)

10 weeks and one day they had so wait a bit longer maybe for those at least?

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 13:35:44 »
Hello

Thanks for the info.

So International Kidney will be ready around the last week of july and the Sarpos around sept/oct.

few more weeks  :-[  :'(

Cheers
Bogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 14:49:58 »
Asbean,
Also read about pinching flowers off to increase yield. Something about energy going into tuber production rather than fruit. 
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 18:53:44 »
Telboy - Yes, it's obvious really, the flowers turn into little potatos or seed pods if left long enough, it's sure to take a lot of energy.  I'd rather have the spuds.  :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal